MOSSBERG HUSHPOWER .410

Hi, all.

Have just purchased a hushpower Mossberg in 410 for a bit of discreet pest control. Seems to be a handy little tool. Anyone got experience in using one of these, and if so what cartridges would you recommend? I know I need to try a few, but any pointers to narrow the choice down would be handy. I have read mixed reviews about subsonic cartridges, and that shot size can also effect noise levels.  Am interested in your thoughts in both the 2.5" and 3" options. Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Rob.

9 hours ago, soulboy1957 said:

2.5" eley/lyvale were the quietest, didnt find eley 3" subsonic very good, best was fiocchi 3" 19g 7's, as the range is 25 to 30 yards 7's are fine and gives a good pattern, most. 410 seem to be 5 or 6 shot which lowers the pellet count. 

I agree. I've found the 2.5" Lyvale Express 14g very good. I've found the 3" Eley subs to be louder. When I have got though my last slab of those I will try another 3" shell, but won;t bother with subs. 

I should say I'm really using the 2.5" shells on squirrels and close birds only. I appreciate you can be much more ambitious with the .410. 

I now just shoot my standard reloads (3inch 19g) or Fiocchi 18g and to be honest they don't seem to disturb too much.  Shot about a couple of boxes at piegons just 100yrds away from the farmers kitchen window and his wife said she didn't know I was shooting.  I have some very old 2 inch which I use for killing tree rats in live catch cages and they are pretty quiet too.

The Eley 3 inch subs didn't seem any different .  Cheddite do some 24g but I have not tried them in my Mossy. 

On 09/03/2020 at 09:00, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what did the RFD you purchased from recommend?

Hello, mate. My RFD gave me a box of 3" eley subs. Seemed to shoot ok, but I've not yet had a chance to compare with anything else. Most folk don't seem to rate the things. Most gun shops only seem keep the Eley cartridges. Anything else seems even more expensive.......,

On 09/03/2020 at 09:48, Walker570 said:

I now just shoot my standard reloads (3inch 19g) or Fiocchi 18g and to be honest they don't seem to disturb too much.  Shot about a couple of boxes at piegons just 100yrds away from the farmers kitchen window and his wife said she didn't know I was shooting.  I have some very old 2 inch which I use for killing tree rats in live catch cages and they are pretty quiet too.

The Eley 3 inch subs didn't seem any different .  Cheddite do some 24g but I have not tried them in my Mossy. 

Hello, mate. Do the Fiocchi come with a fibre wad? I haven't been able to find any..,

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got one of these and so has someone I know. We are both using the Eley 3 inch no 6 subsonic and their 3 inch no 6 magnum, the subsonic are quieter but don’t have the same punch as the magnums. Both have a good pattern at 30 yards it gets patchy after that. 
I’ve used 3 inch Fiocchi no 6 and 7 both are very good but have a plastic wad which seems to make them noisier than the Eleys that are felt wads. Plus Mossberg don’t recommend using plastic wads. 👍

Hull, and Gamebore also do felt wads I will try them at some point.

• 2 weeks later...