9-5 rut

NorfolkAYA

Yes hate it, once you get home and complete a few jobs it’s almost time for bed, hence me considering a shift based job with lots more time off. 

Lots on here advising against it though so am torn. 

Part time would be nice but just wish I could afford it. Perhaps in a few years.  

Before I had the accident I was working 6 till 5.30, other than the days I picked my lad up (twice one week and once the other) when I'd finish at 4.30 instead.

Very much felt like yourself, the missus hated it too, come Friday night id be lucky to make it past 7.00pm before I was out for the night. 

Don't half miss the money though.

10 minutes ago, NorfolkAYA said:

Anyone else get this feeling?

Start at 7 finish at 5:30ish, have tea shower, sit down and repeat the next day until the weekend? 

Starting to despise my job, thinking there's got to be more to life surely?

Or is this just me? 

I've come off shifts a few times, thinking I'll work normal hours like everyone else,  doesn't last long, 9-5 ain't for me

I never got to that stage , I was one of the lucky ones who liked my job , the place I worked on and above all the people I worked for , I was in charge of all the building work on a large agricultural estate , this involved around 70 houses , five farms , some church work , pubs , post office and until recently a garage selling fuel .

Like most jobs it did get a bit stressful now and again but I had a good team of tradesmen who I looked after and in return they looked after me .

I did pack up at 60 due to my back wearing out but I did do nearly 30 years and it was the best job I could have wished for , and 13 years after retiring I still spend a lot of my free time on the same place and still have no regrets . 

I am still in work, started at 8am today. I’m a partner so have no fixed hours. But I love my job, my partners and my staff which makes it better. Still kills me, always tired unless I’m in work or shooting! If I miss bed time with my little boys I don’t go home until 11pm to try and get ahead a little. 

19 minutes ago, NorfolkAYA said:

That's the thing I earn a half decent wage, but literally feel as though I'm living for the weekend. My Mrs is a nurse and works 4 evenings a week, and with my 2.5 year old in the evenings once he's in bed, I feel like I'm ready for bed. 

Always harder in winter when the nights roll in early, spring is coming and you'll feel better then. I imagine a lot of folk live for the weekend. 

1 hour ago, NorfolkAYA said:

That's the thing I earn a half decent wage, but literally feel as though I'm living for the weekend. My Mrs is a nurse and works 4 evenings a week, and with my 2.5 year old in the evenings once he's in bed, I feel like I'm ready for bed. 

It may just be life itself which is getting you down a bit. When you have young kids life can be very humdrum and repetitive, but it does get easier. It’s not easy raising a family, you just have to make time for yourselves as a family... remember not to let the living get in the way of the loving. 
Have you no hobbies you could turn into a second income, from home? 
Clock watching at work can make for long long days. 

i know it is of no help to you....but the best hours/job i ever had was working what was called Tide work....time used to change everyday ....used to be the relief engineer on the Lenne Regis dredger  at kings lynn docks .........i thought the hours would kill me..............but i loved it........

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes hate it, once you get home and complete a few jobs it’s almost time for bed, hence me considering a shift based job with lots more time off. 

Lots on here advising against it though so am torn. 

Part time would be nice but just wish I could afford it. Perhaps in a few years.  

I would certainly recommend shift work as the time off is great, just try to avoid nights. My latest finish is midnight. It seems the perfect Balance for me. 14 shifts in 35 days on a 5 week rota. 

I was very  lucky i retired at 53 came out with good pension and good lumpur invested in bricks and mortar rented out 3 houses for the last 10 yrs decided to sell one this year and one next year and keep one to rent i was paying AVC for 10 years so came out with 29 years pension  

I work shifts 4 on 4 off days with just over an hour commute either side. So I’m up at 05:15 and walk back in the door about 20:15. While on shift it is **** but the days off are good. I’m giving a go at starting a business, with a baby on the way I want to spend more time at home, I’m not looking to make millions, just match what I earn now. Could you give starting a business of some sort a go?

11 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Sounds to me like you need a holiday with the Mrs and kids. Possibly somewhere warm and relaxing to re charge your batteries, re connect with the Wife and little ones. Life doesn't seem too bad with a holiday to look forward to.

+1 to that.

Always knew I'd had enough of work when I started having dreams about something bad happening at work. A week away with the missus and my boy always sorted it out.

19 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Sounds to me like you need a holiday with the Mrs and kids. Possibly somewhere warm and relaxing to re charge your batteries, re connect with the Wife and little ones. Life doesn't seem too bad with a holiday to look forward to.

Italy is cheap this year! 

It's what I dream of, would live to run my own business andbsoend more time with the family. It's just having the balls to do it. Like you say don't want to make millions but enough to be comfortable. I'm an agri engineer on trailers so would be a hefty start up to do that and round here the big boys do the maintenance. Always fancied a bit of landscaping and gardening business but not sure there is enough money in it.

What are you thinking of starting JTaylor? 

Working from home is the answer.  I've done it for the last 20 years. it's not all good though - there are times when some especially dull task needs attention when things like emptying the dishwasher are massively more attractive.   The concept of 9-5 disappears because work is always present (I work in IT Pre-sales), always stuff that has to be done with the upside that I can often work late into the night but then take a few hours off in the day to go shooting....therapy.

Downsides - if you are a 'people person' then it can be really lonely as all interaction with colleagues is virtual plus you need personal discipline to both not over-work or skive off too much....