9-5 rut

NorfolkAYA

When I had had my fill of professional life I retrained as a garden designer with the Royal Horticultural Society. It served me very well. 

'Gardeners' in my experience know very little about their job beyond how to operate hedge trimmers and strimmers.

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

When I had had my fill of professional life I retrained as a garden designer with the Royal Horticultural Society. It served me very well. 

'Gardeners' in my experience know very little about their job beyond how to operate hedge trimmers and strimmers.

You can earn a very good living. Around here its at least £25 an hour regular work or price per job otherwise. 

45 minutes ago, oowee said:

You can earn a very good living. Around here its at least £25 an hour regular work or price per job otherwise. 

Ah, but would they know how to prune a Philadelphus Coronarius 'Aurea' or deal with an Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'?

I'm trying to have a change. I ran Mr own business for 10yrs up until I broke my leg nearly 3yrs ago. I was ready for a change so recovered and went riding out for someone else. 2yrs of good times I was 2nd in command and making really good money because I was self employed they had to pay me what I wanted rather than stick with the BHA framework for employed staff which would have increased my hours and halved my wages. The last 12 months or so we've gone through 18 staff because they were cheap but useless. My work has dropped off from being over staffed and my good will has become nonexistent. Now I go through the motions and do exactly what I'm paid for and nothing more. I've started doing some farm work and milking practicality next door instead of an hour away and they're really greatful of the help. If they've got enough money in the budget to give me a nice living I'll pack in the riding out and work on the farm. I'll be working more hours but have more free time than ever including weekends. 

9 hours ago, NorfolkAYA said:

It's what I dream of, would live to run my own business andbsoend more time with the family. It's just having the balls to do it. Like you say don't want to make millions but enough to be comfortable. I'm an agri engineer on trailers so would be a hefty start up to do that and round here the big boys do the maintenance. Always fancied a bit of landscaping and gardening business but not sure there is enough money in it.

What are you thinking of starting JTaylor? 

Private jet charter brokerage, I’ve worked in various roles in aviation for nearly 10 years. I’ve done private brokerage as a bit of a side gig for a few years for just one “client”. It pays for a decent holiday and a bit more. I’m putting some more time into it and I’m hoping to get a few more people on board. Maybe it will pay off maybe it won’t but I will never know unless I give it a go. My 4 days off give me time to put into it which is lucky.

8 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

I'd have no idea what sums of money would be required to charter a private jet - I struggle to understand the fares charged by ULCCs when the asset costs north of £30m!

Depends what you want, something medium size that would seat 6 comfortably from the uk to southern Spain would cost about 30k return.

The company I worked for most of my life employed a lot of shift workers who worked 5 x 8hour shifts a week rotating as earlies lates and nights. They approached the company and said can we change it to a 12 hour shift? 7am-7pm and 7pm - 7am? The company said yes as long as everybody agrees.

The men then worked three times a week for two weeks and four times every third week. THEY LOVED IT. Sickness went down, productivity went up. The union worked out a way that shifts could be traded fairly and that worked too. One man lived in France, traded his shifts and did his ten shifts back to back on the run then went home for two weeks.. Others did one week on one week off. Everybody was happy. Flexitime but the peer pressure was so strong nobody took the pee. That would have meant nobody would ever have swapped with you ever again

A win / win, one of the few examples in my life where unions actually made a positive contribution that benefitted both workers and employers

Edited by Vince Green

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

win / win, one of the few examples in my life where unions actually made a positive contribution that benefitted both workers and employers

Rare indeed, never mind the unions its not often the work force agree something and management think the same.

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

win / win, one of the few examples in my life where unions actually made a positive contribution that benefitted both workers and employers

Rare indeed, never mind the unions its not often the work force agree something and management think the same, I typed this last night but had no signal.

@NorfolkAYA have you thought about getting an exercise bike in the house, bit of a sweat might help.

@NorfolkAYA try not to sweat it, I'm sure we have all been through similar thoughts, however there are groups that can help if it is really getting you down. Locally we have a group called Andy's man club and they are a successful peer to peer group, have a look online and see if there is one near you or if there is something similar in your locality.

ATB

19 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

It's the end of the shooting season also … so who isn't depressed!!

End of the shooting season?

Plenty of other things to shoot. 
Get at those grey squirrels, reduce their numbers and give the song birds a better chance this spring.

Edited by Fisheruk

On 10/03/2020 at 09:41, JDog said:

im a new age gardener....................

slash and burn .....horse power and petrol..........jobs a gooden