UK proof marks

Mr. Merkel

CIP is the  commission Internationale permenente   (permanent international commission) its basically a bunch of country's mostly European that  agreed on set standards and pressures for small arms and recognise each others proof marks. 

the proof marks they use are cip followed by a letter that means something. london and birmingham still use their own proof marks too hence why every gun has about 10 symbols on it now

CIP N is compulsory minimum standard proof

CIP S is Superior

CIP fleur de les  is steel proof

CIP PN is black powder

does it have no other proof marks on the barrels? america dont proof mark their shotguns so they get done on import. you should have a few different markings.  

the 3200  stopped getting made as far s im aware some time in the early 80s but CIP stamping didnt really take off in the uk until about 1990. and that LP16 stamp is 2016. how long you had the gunmate?. because thats been reproofed to a minimum standard of about (not exact so might be worth contacting london proof) 850 bar. has it been bulged and fixed?

Thank you for your replies I have been looking at proof marks all day and have gone a bit brain numb, popped out to see my local gunshop this afternoon to try and make some sense of it all, my remington is prooded for all 70mm standard cartridges non magnum no steel.

Scully I cannot post pictures my laptop just will not do it, it has stopped talking to the printer recently so we cannot print off it. I have kept off the side by side club as I cannot post phots, if you send me your email address I will send you some pictures.

There are no other proof marks it was proofed in London in 2016 to a standard level, I have not really looked at the proof marks until today it would appear that the line of marks show bore diameter, chamber length in mm,  nitro proof stamp, 12 in a dimond , the CIP N and one barrel has the LP/16.

Thanks again

Tim

2 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

does it have no other proof marks on the barrels? america dont proof mark their shotguns so they get done on import. you should have a few different markings.  

the 3200  stopped getting made as far s im aware some time in the early 80s but CIP stamping didnt really take off in the uk until about 1990. and that LP16 stamp is 2016. how long you had the gunmate?. because thats been reproofed to a minimum standard of about (not exact so might be worth contacting london proof) 850 bar. has it been bulged and fixed?

No bulges or repairs, just first set of proof marks

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, all i can suggest from all the other posts is contact Winchester, if the one on gun trader looks the same in Rods and Guns Swindon give Tony a call

Hi,

Thank you for pointing me towards that, the gun on guntrader is the same model as mine and looks to have had a similar history in respect of the proof.

On 10/03/2020 at 16:39, Mr. Merkel said:

No bulges or repairs, just first set of proof marks

can tell you now mate, that has either been imported recently or re proofed you can see some of the original stamps. not to mention that gun hasn't been in production for the last 45 years.  not necessarily damaged but possibly refurbed.  its a beauty regardless but penny for a pinch of sh... thats been re proofed

Edited by Sweet11-87