Part trained Cocker

Zimtrout

Good afternoon all

Right The boss (her indoors) has finally broken, i have been given permission to get another hound. 

I have a working Cocker (he is 9) and am after another one. As we have just had a little boy my training time is going to be a little limited, so I am after a part trained dog. 

I live down in Cornwall but willing to travel to find the right dog.  Preferably would be looking to pick it up mid summer, a dog would be preferred.

Thanks for any help.. cheers ZT

It might be better to start looking around at the time when you are able to take it on and be prepared to move fast.

"Part trained" dogs do crop up from time to time - typically someone may be training a trials dog and it's becoming clear that it is not going to be a champion.

Hiya, got your pm!

Yes you can pick up a part trained cocker but beware they are few and far between and get snapped up very very quickly.

As you’ve just had a baby perhaps it may be a good idea to delay things a little while as there’s nothing more annoying than trying to settle a dog at the same time as you’re trying to settle a baby to sleep... It’ll just end up getting on your nerves (the dog 😂) Believe me, I know 🙄

A part trained dog will still need training as you know so if you have a lack of time although it sounds ideal it may not be 🤔

May I respectfully suggest perhaps waiting a wee while or looking for an older, more seasoned dog who will be more able to settle to your family life than a youngster ...

Of course there’s exceptions to every rule and I would love to be proved wrong 😊

We do have an older part trained dog here that will be on the transfer list due to lacking a bit of speed for trialling but if out in a kennel by himself he will definitely squawk the house down  😩

Just an added word of caution whatever breed. Part trained means different things to different people. I would strongly recommend you list what you expect as a minimum, and then a few nice to haves and make sure your breeder can prove the dog will do at least do the minimum when you turn up or you could face some wasted journeys.

sorry if this seems common sense but I have heard enough moans over the years.

19 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Just an added word of caution whatever breed. Part trained means different things to different people. I would strongly recommend you list what you expect as a minimum, and then a few nice to haves and make sure your breeder can prove the dog will do at least do the minimum when you turn up or you could face some wasted journeys.

sorry if this seems common sense but I have heard enough moans over the years.

Bang on, seen a lot of people buy ‘trained’ dogs that are gun shy, hard mouthed, won’t retrieve, chases game and won’t hunt. 

They’re in Facebook every year complaining that the dog they just bought is useless and they’re a few grand out of pocket. 

I am surprised they fall for it though, often they have paid for a ‘trained’ dog what I would expect to pay for a well bred pup or young dog that hasn’t started training yet. 

As we know, you often get what you pay for. Although some exceptions, I know plenty of trial lads who will sell on youngish prospects that just aren’t up to scratch, for not a lot more than the pup cost. 

You just have to watch who you trust. 

Bigbird will be able to advise :) 

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

All good thanks, back atcha ! X

How is your pup off OO coming on? 

Send more vids :) 

15 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Just curious how much the price would be for reasonably well-bred dog that had the basics?

Assuming it’s not one that’s been messed up and is doing what the seller says it’s doing you’re looking at perhaps £1200 - £1500 but there are bargains to be had and there are sellers who are looking for more because they’ve done more with it - ‘part trained’ is a really vague term in the great dog scheme of things...

Edited by bigbird

A mate of mine worked out a price for one and said that there would not be much difference between a fully and part trained. Price of dog say £700 plus a years food vet fees housing and innoculations. Plus the time training and half a days handover time came out at £3.5k. 

On 12/03/2020 at 18:27, oowee said:

A mate of mine worked out a price for one and said that there would not be much difference between a fully and part trained. Price of dog say £700 plus a years food vet fees housing and innoculations. Plus the time training and half a days handover time came out at £3.5k. 

You’d be lucky to have a dog that’s even part trained at a year old. A lot don’t even start training until over a year. 

There’s a 4 year old FTW bitch gone up for sale this week on FB. 

Parents are FTCH X OFTW, no faults, ready to run in open trials next season.

Bitch is priced at £3,600. 

Anyone paying £3,500 for any old dog has more money than sense when you can pick up award winning dogs for the same money. 

You might find the odd person who’ll pay it but you won’t make a business out of it. 

Most of the lads say there’s no money in bringing on and selling dogs, price of a pup, feeding and housing it for years, time put into it, it’s not worth the bother. 

Most of the good ones being sold are not going to make the top grade and they want the kennel space to work on other stuff with potential. 

Then the dogs that really do make it are sold abroad for proper money. 

Many dogs who did well at this years championship didn’t go home with the same person they came with. 

10 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

That's practically for nothing.

Thats one of the expensive ones, trialling lads I am seeing frequently putting up similar stuff. 

5 1/5 year old black cocker bitch from good lines - field trial winner - £2,500. Would make a good rough shooting dog that. 

14 month old dog untouched, ready to start training, very good lines - £750. 

Looking at all the time, work and money I put into training mine, I sometimes wish I’d just gone and bought something trained, at least you know what it’s like, if it’ll hit cover, retrieve and if your switched on you can see if it has any faults. 

34 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Looking at all the time, work and money I put into training mine, I sometimes wish I’d just gone and bought something trained,

But a lot of the joy is in the training. And I honestly believe that you only really learn about working dogs by training them. I sometimes think that people do things back to front. When inexperienced people who've never trained or even handled a dog much buy the ready made article it's often fine for a bit, but then when faults start to creep in (as they inevitably do) they don't have either a) the insight to see the problem developing before it becomes a real issue, and b) the know-how to put the dog back on the path to righteousness again. And it can all end in tears quite quickly.

On the other hand if you're systematic about it, with  a good book and a bit of common sense and enthusiasm I think most people - even total beginners - can take their pup up to a reasonable standard. And you learn so much on the way. After that, if someone then wanst to buy a trained dog they're  in a much better position to get the best from it.

Just my thoughts.

48 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

But a lot of the joy is in the training. And I honestly believe that you only really learn about working dogs by training them. I sometimes think that people do things back to front. When inexperienced people who've never trained or even handled a dog much buy the ready made article it's often fine for a bit, but then when faults start to creep in (as they inevitably do) they don't have either a) the insight to see the problem developing before it becomes a real issue, and b) the know-how to put the dog back on the path to righteousness again. And it can all end in tears quite quickly.

On the other hand if you're systematic about it, with  a good book and a bit of common sense and enthusiasm I think most people - even total beginners - can take their pup up to a reasonable standard. And you learn so much on the way. After that, if someone then wanst to buy a trained dog they're  in a much better position to get the best from it.

Just my thoughts.

Yes very true that. 

Pro’s and con’s either way. I have trained mine now but he’s still a bit cover shy, so I wouldn’t mind buying a dog if I just wanted something to shoot over and I could see how it went before deciding. 

I am hoping mine comes on more next season with a full season of working.