Jack Hargreaves "Out of Town".

vole

Thanks to Jack I learnt how to set mole traps and picked up a few fishing tips,such as to kill a trout you had to give it a good "leathering".Fishing,never mind dispatching your catch is largely banned off TV these days..Even remember the theme tune.Anyone else watch?

Thanks to Jack I learnt how to set mole traps and picked up a few fishing tips,such as to kill a trout you had to give it a good "leathering".Fishing,never mind dispatching your catch is largely banned off TV these days..Even remember the theme tune.Anyone else watch?

Yeah, used to watch it as a lad. Seem to remember it being on sunday evenings about 7. It used to be tea and bath then sit down with the folks to watch it. Cant see anything similar ever replacing it at peak time like that which is a shame.

Fishing,never mind dispatching your catch is largely banned off TV these days.

You obviously don't have access to Sky, or the Discovery channels.

I remember Jack Hargreaves and "Out of Town" very well, they did "sanitise" the later series by having more trug making and pony shows than country sports, but it was always interesting.

I met him on two occasions at Game Fairs and he was a nice enough chap, not half as nice as Fred J Taylor and a few others I have met.

I bought all the Out of Town DVDs last year and I thought they where brillant,there must be a high demand for the dvds now as have just checked the price and about £70 for the lot and I ionly paid £25 for same on line shop.Must say though that they are highly informative and entertaining they way thing where done(how many of now people who can do some of the thing he talked about)Hopefully they will appear on sky before to much longer

Sweepy

I used to make sure I was home early on Wednesdays so I could watch him.

I was only really interested in the fishing but kind of got drawn in to the other pursuits as they looked like fun.

If I remember right it was ATV (anglia television) that showed the programmes, long before the big television region franchise sell off, and the only other time I saw the ATV logo was for Crossroads and Survival with Dickie Attleborough...spelling?

I liked the Fast show spoof of it with Charly Higson coughing his guts up as soon as the camera started rolling ;):lol::lol:

LB

i can remember watching jack, with my uncle when i was 9yrs old. jeepers that was a long time ago.... an old style countryman who probably forgot more than most will ever know..... when funds allow must get the DVD collection i have 4 episodes on vhs video including my favourite " cider making " hic " HA HA!!

Great programmes, I remember them. They used to be on Sunday evening. I always remember they were best thing about Sunday night, I was always a bit gloomy because it was school in the morning, but Out of Town made Sunday nights a bit better. I've got the books but didn't realise they were on DVD. :unsure:

I always remember one episode he did on Carp fishing on Chilham Castle Lake in Kent. Jack and Ron Edwards made it look like they were top Carp fishers, but the Carp in that lake were tame :shifty: - they used to take bread out of your hand :whistling:

He also presented a programme called "Country Boy", anyone remember that one.

Strangely, I can't remember the programme, but I think I remember the theme music/song, some slushy gunge:

I am just a country boy,

Money have I none,

But I've got silver in the stars,

And gold in the morming sun.

:whistling: