No Shots Fired

JTaylor91

If you want to read a report of a 100+ bag day you will be sorely disappointed, this will not be that report.

I got on to the farm about 0930 where there was a decent breeze which was due to pick up in the afternoon. I was told there was some birds knocking around so set out to find them. They were nowhere to be seen....... I found a small group in a field, maybe around 20 and set up. Nothing for over an hour....... I left the kit set up and had a drive around to see where they had gone. I found a larger number in a further field cleared them off and went back to the hide. Still nothing, feeling thoroughly disheartened I packed up and went in search of them again. Found them in a stubble field dropping down from some woods so looked promising. 

Trekked across a couple of fields with all the kit realising when I got over there I could of driven to the other side of the dyke. Set up again, at this point the wind  was really blowing and with little hedge cover the hide was struggling. Nothing for another hour with no sign of them returning so called it a day. I also tried throwing my bag of decoys and nets over the dyke at which point a gust of wind blew it right back at me and into the dyke which summed up the day nicely. 0 shots so 0 birds. Still better than been indoors. 

I know that exact feeling , went out today wandered up far end of osr field , set up decoys couple of flappers , good spot in hedgerow by tree so didnt  need a hide ———————— nothing , the few pigeon that we’re going over now down bottom of field so up sticks and move , not in great spot as wind cutting through , nothing around sat for a hour and still nothing so moved again , so did the few pigeon that were about so all in all an afternoon out in the fresh air but nothing to show for it ! , but still a better afternoon than being indoors ! 

After a good day Saturday with jdog I had an afternoon  out  for nppc  I had booked two fields went to the first lifted about 100 or so birds  a few came back went to check the other field watched it for a while and nothing usually a good flightline near it so thought back to  first as I drove round lifted  100  or so from the same place looked promising so set up in a ditch wind just behind 15 decoys and a magnet  and guess what not a thing returned ...dark clouds looming  I packed up before I got drenched  not a shot fired... went to the other field a few bird left the trees and  30 or so lifted from the rape so put the net between 2 hedges and put a flapper out 5 mins in one shot one kill and that was it  it a learning curve for me and you and I think this it what they call winter shooting 

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Your post sums up the experiences that most pigeon shooters have.

I fully agree , we have had days like that and I dare say we will get them again , the only difference now is I need to be convinced it is worth the trouble in walking over wet fields lugging a load of gear , if pigeons are down feeding, or at a minimum sitting up in the trees , My first form of action is to walk them off , this might involve walking the dog around the whole field , then back to the motor and get the flask out , at best I give it about half an hour , if no moment , or very little then I cant see any point in going through all that hard work for next to nothing .

Then like you I move on to plan B and see if things are any better , I dare say if I only had the one field to go on and this was the only day I could go then things might be entirely different , as it is , I don't often set up nowadays for nothing , this is not to say I will get anything when I do set up , if you know what I mean :lol:

23 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

After a good day Saturday with jdog I had an afternoon  out  for nppc  I had booked two fields went to the first lifted about 100 or so birds  a few came back went to check the other field watched it for a while and nothing usually a good flightline near it so thought back to  first as I drove round lifted  100  or so from the same place looked promising so set up in a ditch wind just behind 15 decoys and a magnet  and guess what not a thing returned ...dark clouds looming  I packed up before I got drenched  not a shot fired... went to the other field a few bird left the trees and  30 or so lifted from the rape so put the net between 2 hedges and put a flapper out 5 mins in one shot one kill and that was it  it a learning curve for me and you and I think this it what they call winter shooting 

I think it is sometimes good to remember; "look for birds in the air, not on the ground."

On 10/03/2020 at 21:26, marsh man said:

I fully agree , we have had days like that and I dare say we will get them again , the only difference now is I need to be convinced it is worth the trouble in walking over wet fields lugging a load of gear , if pigeons are down feeding, or at a minimum sitting up in the trees , My first form of action is to walk them off , this might involve walking the dog around the whole field , then back to the motor and get the flask out , at best I give it about half an hour , if no moment , or very little then I cant see any point in going through all that hard work for next to nothing .

Then like you I move on to plan B and see if things are any better , I dare say if I only had the one field to go on and this was the only day I could go then things might be entirely different , as it is , I don't often set up nowadays for nothing , this is not to say I will get anything when I do set up , if you know what I mean 

Like this idea and shall adopt the same from now on; appreciated