Cost per bird

Salmo

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

........ and wiping a mates eye, particularly when your shooting a 410:good:

It’s surprising how some amazing driven shots can’t hit a thing walked up. 

I’ve hit some absolute crackers walked up and then missed some of the easiest driven birds ... but there’s nothing like shooting a bird flushed by your own dog off it’s nose, shot and then picked when told and delivered back to hand :) 

100% agree.  I have a friend and many moons ago he said he had a new bit of ground to shoot on but was not seeing anything .... at that time he did not own a dog.

I said I would go down with my two with him and he could shoot and I would just work the dogs.  The first hedgerow, my GSP Mole came on a solid point within thrity yards and my Lab, Muffin spotted this and went in to do the flush, they worked as a team.  A cock bird took off over the hedge to my friend who missed it both barrels. Mole remained solid on point and Muff looked at him, then delved deeper in the hedge and a hen bird flushed and this time he connected. We had half a dozen pheasants that morning , all down to the two dogs. I never fired a shot but I think maybe I enjoyed the morning more than my friend , although he could not belive those birds had been there.  That is what it is all about and I miss it greatly.

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s surprising how some amazing driven shots can’t hit a thing walked up. 

I’ve hit some absolute crackers walked up and then missed some of the easiest driven birds ... but there’s nothing like shooting a bird flushed by your own dog off it’s nose, shot and then picked when told and delivered back to hand  

On 14/06/2020 at 08:18, Walker570 said:

100% agree.  I have a friend and many moons ago he said he had a new bit of ground to shoot on but was not seeing anything .... at that time he did not own a dog.

I said I would go down with my two with him and he could shoot and I would just work the dogs.  The first hedgerow, my GSP Mole came on a solid point within thrity yards and my Lab, Muffin spotted this and went in to do the flush, they worked as a team.  A cock bird took off over the hedge to my friend who missed it both barrels. Mole remained solid on point and Muff looked at him, then delved deeper in the hedge and a hen bird flushed and this time he connected. We had half a dozen pheasants that morning , all down to the two dogs. I never fired a shot but I think maybe I enjoyed the morning more than my friend , although he could not belive those birds had been there.  That is what it is all about and I miss it greatly.

Walker

Did you train the gsp and lab to work like that or is that something they worked out themselves, I would love to have seen them working like that, the only gsp dog's I have seen just wanted to do what they wanted, I suppose and I may be wrong but the gsp in general isn't suited to the smaller shoot's I go to.

Basically the Lab worked it out. He was probably my best ever dog, highly intelligent and latched on to the fact that if Mole went solid, then he wasn't telling a lie and they both became used to the partnership.   I had no input part from the initial good manners behaviour. They knew more about hunting birds than I did.