Steel or Wooden garden shed

billytheghillie

As above - you would not believe how wet things get in a metal shed - mine is insulated underneath with plastic sheeting coming 6-8 inches up the inside wall, the walls themselves are covered with Polystyrene tiles and still my mower and motorbike get soaked with condensation, only cure to date is to run a Greenhouse heater throughout the colder months.

17 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Wood, make it your self. Frames are easy to make and the feather edge is surprisingly cheap. 

As above, I made one 5m by 3.5m with a pent roof ably assisted by my wife which now houses my kayaks and all the garden stuff. It does get some condensation in the winter and a little insulation wouldn`t go amiss.

13 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

don't know, it will be a ride on mower, must be able to stand up to the high winds.

It depends on what you will be using it for, is it going to-be your main shed or just for storing your ride on mower and a few tools, next is size, do you have any idea of what you are looking for? Do you have a budget? As for what the shed is made from you could look at preformed concrete sections, bit more expensive but will not rot and is easy to insulate.

Depending on size, breeze block could be cheaper, 

Sheds maybe. But please, for other things that need "holding up" please never use breeze blocks.

Use railway sleepers of something else. A friend lost his life through breeze blocks.

He had started up a small local bus service using a minibus to ferry local people to the shops. To save money he did his own vehicle maintenance. And stupidly as he couldn't afford axle stands or ramps or railway sleepers had jacked his minibus up and used breeze blocks to keep it "up". Well you know the rest. One of the breeze blocks crumbled the minibus came down on him and he died from it. Not crushed per se but from suffocation from being unable as his chest was compressed to breathe.

My brother in his early years as did I did our own car maintenance. The very first thing he drummed into me was never use breeze blocks to support a vehicle. Use axle stands or use railway sleepers or blocks of other hardwoods.

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Sheds maybe. But please, for other things that need "holding up" please never use breeze blocks.

Use railway sleepers of something else. A friend lost his life through breeze blocks.

He had started up a small local bus service using a minibus to ferry local people to the shops. To save money he did his own vehicle maintenance. And stupidly as he couldn't afford axle stands or ramps or railway sleepers had jacked his minibus up and used breeze blocks to keep it "up". Well you know the rest. One of the breeze blocks crumbled the minibus came down on him and he died from it. Not crushed per se but from suffocation from being unable as his chest was compressed to breathe.

My brother in his early years as did I did our own car maintenance. The very first thing he drummed into me was never use breeze blocks to support a vehicle. Use axle stands or use railway sleepers or blocks of other hardwoods.

Well, i totally agree, and certainly worth mentioning.

But i had no idea that using blocks to support weight had been mentioned.. Being as you brought it up multi layers of decent Plywood is about the best.But for buildings they are just the job. 😉