Mamod static steam engine

AVB

I had one of these as a child and recently picked up this on eBay. It’s an SE 1.a circa 1970.  It was badly tarnished and pitted but I have stripped off the lacquer and buffed up the boiler which I think has come up quite well. I’ve also replaced the seals and plan to get it running over the next couple of days. The wife can’t understand the point of it! 

Anybody else got one? 

58FB068D-311C-4573-B14D-398BC7DFF8CB.jpeg

8756C952-D582-414B-85E7-490B4FA80512.jpeg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not got one now, had various ones over the years and loved firing them up with Metholated spirits.

How much did you pay for yours?

£45. It has the original box (although a bit tatty) and instructions. I am tempted to get the workshop tools (grinder, hammer etc.) as well. A set of those go for about £120. 

Not a Mamod, but a couple of Wilescos - a D16 piston engine and a T90 turbine.

I bought the D16 on a whim (secondhand on eBay for £15) for me to play with, with our grandson, however the bug bit and soon I was on eBay buying the power hammer, hacksaw and generator, all of which the D16 struggled with, despite buying a pressurised superburner. 

The turbine is another matter, though. I bought it new from Germany.

A good bit of power particularly with a twinjet superburner. It makes a great whining sound.

Does my wife understand? About as much as she understands my motorbikes!

wilesco-t90-steam-turbine_1_e2cc0cdeb26e95785d822fca5e497694.jpg

d16-stationaere-wilesco-dampfmaschinen.jpg

Edited by amateur
Pictures

I had a smaller version of that one many years ago.

A guy I used to work with had the steam roller version.

Women seldom understand boys toys. Then again, I don’t see the point of Botox, lip fillers etc. I’d sooner play with a steam engine than make myself look like a duck!

Edited by moondoggy

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i had a mamod .....you could buy an alternator to power a bulb.........

have you cleaned the piston and the cylinder with fine wire wool ?..............

No. Should I? It seems to move quite freely. 

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i had a mamod .....you could buy an alternator to power a bulb.........

have you cleaned the piston and the cylinder with fine wire wool ?..............

You can still buy small generators on eBay, but a small LED draws much less power than an incandescent bulb for the same effect

Don't forget the steam oil.

19 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

How the world has changed. Children’s toys, meths, matches and steam. Those were the days!

I remember as a child firing mine up in the kitchen. I had put newspaper down to protect the kitchen table. Unfortunately I had spilled some meths onto it and, of course, when I lit the burner the spillage and the paper went up. A bit of a panic and lots of explaining to my mum. 

I have found the same engine and the plate with all the workshop,tools on it.(...power hammer, grinder, polisher...can't remember what else) in the shed at my mums about 2 months ago. Must have been there for 50 plus years

i have rescued it BUT it's in poor nick.  Maybe a winter restoration project. Pressure release valve is missing everything else seems to be there apart from meths tray

7 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I have found the same engine and the plate with all the workshop,tools on it.(...power hammer, grinder, polisher...can't remember what else) in the shed at my mums about 2 months ago. Must have been there for 50 plus years

i have rescued it BUT it's in poor nick.  Maybe a winter restoration project. Pressure release valve is missing everything else seems to be there apart from meths tray

There are four tools, hammer, polisher, grinder and power press plus a line shaft to run them all. 

F9B3F621-F1B9-4515-A0B7-E265D2EB96CD.png

amazing..................coronavirus is killing the world........stock market gone down the toilet...........no food in the supermarkets...................

and the HOT THREAD on pigeonwatch is.....the merits of a mamod steam engine..............

excellent.......

6 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Pretty sure mine are all on the ONE base plate, i will have a look tomorrow. I know the steel spring drive "belts" are still there

Like this? I think the ones on a single plate are newer as you can still buy them from Mamod. 

12357A74-4C6F-4F74-BFFA-1BAD40AD8F30.png

11 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Pretty sure mine are all on the ONE base plate, i will have a look tomorrow. I know the steel spring drive "belts" are still there

Plastic thong belts, joined with superglue are much better than the steel belts