Mamod static steam engine

AVB

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

amazing..................coronavirus is killing the world........stock market gone down the toilet...........no food in the supermarkets...................

and the HOT THREAD on pigeonwatch is.....the merits of a mamod steam engine..............

excellent.......

That and my post on my seat bolt. I think that makes me an ‘influencer’. Or as my wife would say “a boring old ****” 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, AVB said:

That and my post on my seat bolt. I think that makes me an ‘influencer’. Or as my wife would say “a boring old ****” 

A Social Media Influencer!.....be very careful as it is but a short step to taking selfies of you pouting! Next step is lip fillers and Botox , then Celebrity Pigeon Hide

23 minutes ago, Diver One said:

A Social Media Influencer!.....be very careful as it is but a short step to taking selfies of you pouting! Next step is lip fillers and Botox , then Celebrity Pigeon Hide

AWESOME DUDE.........................please say you will be his manager.....great threads to come...:yahoo:

Format

a PW member is stuck in a hide with a Z list celeb

shotgun 

baseball bat

PW member has to decide whether to shoot the pigeons or beat the celeb with the bat...Needs a bit of refining but I am off to Manc airport now to pick up daughter, hubby and two granddaughters (1&4) so I'll have a think as I'm driving

4 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Format

a PW member is stuck in a hide with a Z list celeb

shotgun 

baseball bat

PW member has to decide whether to shoot the pigeons or beat the celeb with the bat...Needs a bit of refining but I am off to Manc airport now to pick up daughter, hubby and two granddaughters (1&4) so I'll have a think as I'm driving

It could be like that fishing programme that Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse did. No actual fishing done but lots of bloke chat. 

We could get two celebrities to sit in a hide and talk about bloke stuff. @ditchman could be arbiter to make sure the conversation was ‘blokey’ enough. It would be like my pigeon shooting. No pigeons seen and no shots fired. 

you could add a bit of big brother into it ....like when that scottish MP pretended to lick milk out of that womans hand (rula lenska) and george whatsit...

cepy it would be some pretty celeb drinking lukewarm coffee out of your hand......then she would go into the bramble room and tell all whilst you continued shooting ...

god there is so much material there....:good:we could be onto something

Edited by ditchman

11 hours ago, AVB said:

I had one of these as a child and recently picked up this on eBay. It’s an SE 1.a circa 1970.  It was badly tarnished and pitted but I have stripped off the lacquer and buffed up the boiler which I think has come up quite well. I’ve also replaced the seals and plan to get it running over the next couple of days. The wife can’t understand the point of it! 

Anybody else got one? 

58FB068D-311C-4573-B14D-398BC7DFF8CB.jpeg

8756C952-D582-414B-85E7-490B4FA80512.jpeg

Always wanted one as a kid, but as money was tight, had to make do with the equivalent of a mobile phone, namely two cocoa tins and a length of string.:eh:

OB

So glad I clicked on this thread, I remember my dad having one when I was a kid.  I keep thinking I should get another one ready for if I ever have grandkids (well thats the excuse I'm running with).  Loved all the pictures and I feel a shopping trip coming on if I can hide the money away :)

10 hours ago, AVB said:

I remember as a child firing mine up in the kitchen. I had put newspaper down to protect the kitchen table. Unfortunately I had spilled some meths onto it and, of course, when I lit the burner the spillage and the paper went up. A bit of a panic and lots of explaining to my mum. 

I did exactly the same with a tea towel. A pit of a panic at 10 years of age.

Yes I still have mine somewhere in the attic along with my Hornby Dublo train set, that's still in it's original box albeit rather battered now. The train set was bought for one of my birthdays in the late 50s/early 60s.

During the same period I swapped a broken, WW2 revolver, given to me by my uncle, for the Mamod and a couple of yards of magnesium metal strip. The latter was interesting to a little boy as you could ignite it with a match and watch it burn fiercely with a bright white light.

I really wanted some of the lump of phosphorus the other kid had too but I didn't have a container to take it home in, it had to be kept in water to prevent it self combusting in contact with air. I took a jam jar round the following day to get it but I found his dad had relieved him of it and left him with a sore backside for interfering with his work stuff.

Happy days😊

lol   great stories...........

well adjusted children.................................

know-a-days the kid would be put into care.....the mother goes for councilling and the father gets 5 years for assult..........how times have changed

Heck they were rich kids' toys back in the early 1970s when I was a school. Not that I might not have been a rich kid but, coming from a shooting family, we had a BSA Airsporter Mk1 and a BSA Meteor instead. As for model static steam engines if I wanted to see one working I could see a real one if I asked my father to take me down to tne family factory to spend a day with "Uncle Ken" in the steamhouse.

Edited by enfieldspares

AVB get yourself a lathe and start making your own, keep you out of mischief.

Have a look at the model steam fair videos online, some very talented people around.

My mate had three or four stating engines from very small to a table top one that could power small machinery.

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

amazing..................coronavirus is killing the world........stock market gone down the toilet...........no food in the supermarkets...................

and the HOT THREAD on pigeonwatch is.....the merits of a mamod steam engine..............

excellent.......

That's until Gertrude Thumbscrew gets back in the limelight and gets them banned for causing climate change.

Think Kays catalogue used to sell them back in the days when they also sold air guns.

4 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

Think Kays catalogue used to sell them back in the days when they also sold air guns.

They did, which is where my original Mamod came from. It was converted into cash when I graduated to an air rifle, and then the rifle and scalextric were converted into my first motorbike.

4 hours ago, bavarianbrit said:

Selling this one on the bay at the moment,  after 25 years in the workshop it is clear to me I have not got the time to fettle it.

Capture1.JPG

some of those parts look as if they come from an old singer sewing machine ?