Bolt thread

AVB

I have been re-trimming the seats in my Defender and despite being useless at anything technical I am quite happy with the results. However I have noticed that on the 60/40 middle row seats there is a ‘bolt’ missing on each seat that prevents the seat folding backwards. It screws into the bottom corner of the seat and then slots into the groove on the side of the seat in the attached photo. I have found a bolt that fits into the seat but I need another for the other seat along with a nut. How do I find out what the thread is? Also if anybody has a 110 with a 60/40 seat can they send me a photo of what the ‘bolt’ looks like so I can see if I can craft something more realistic?

Thanks. 

22349043-8DB8-4222-BE8F-331A75E3B5F7.jpeg

Do you have a digital caliper?

If so, first measure the bolt diameter, and if it measures a standard metric size, follow Dibble's instructions above to get the metric thread pitch.

If it is an imperial bolt, set the caliper at 1 inch and count the threads within an inch of thread.

Metric threads are designated by their pitch and imperial by their threads per inch.

27 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Surely if you are replacing the bolt and nut it doesn’t matter what thread it is as long as it’s a matching set? Unless I’ve misunderstood and it screws into threads on the seat, but then it wouldn’t need the nut? 

Yes the bolt screws into the thread in the seat but I also need a nut to stop the bolt from screwing all the way in. 

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Simply take the bolt you have to your nearest decent hardware store and try it in a few nuts, simples

Easier sad than done. The only local ‘hardware’ stores are places like Homebase or Wickes and all of the nuts ‘n’ bolts are in sealed packets. I haven’t seen a decent hardware store since I was a kid. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

Easier sad than done. The only local ‘hardware’ stores are places like Homebase or Wickes and all of the nuts ‘n’ bolts are in sealed packets. I haven’t seen a decent hardware store since I was a kid. 

We have a local one that is like an old style hardware store. I bought some screws recently and was asked how many I wanted. The chap was fully prepared to count out whatever number I said. 

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

Builders yards? Several near me, as for the sealed packets find one that looks the right size and open it, you wont be the first, although I'm expecting it to be imperial not metric.

@ditchman bet he knows

This thread prompted me to do some more research and believe it or not I have found a diagram of the seat with the associated bolt (6 and 16) shown. I thought it would be a custom part but typical LR it is a simple bolt. It even has a part number,  MWC2522, so should be simple to source. 

Thanks for all the advice. 

BEC672D6-D0B0-4D04-98DF-E863EC721668.png

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

The dreaded B&Q does now let you fondle bolts and nuts ‘loose’ as they do a pick n mix style system now.

Just don’t be caught fondling your nuts in your pocket prior to selection of correct size 

Joe Marler got a 10 week ban for fondling AW-J's nuts. 

19 hours ago, Diver One said:

😂.....have to be careful though as some newer ones are coming out at 15mm for a 10. And 12 for an 8

They could not be metric bolts you will find funny ones on Japanese motorbikes they are to JIT standards. You can also find unusual ones on WW2 machinery as they sometimes used a smaller head to save metal.

I work for a company that sells nuts and bolts I, could go on for hours it's a fascinating subject......ok it's not really.

Oh I don't know...they fascinate me.  All thanks to Mr Whitworth for standardisation

Yank stuff is just wrong

and bringing out a thread just for bikes ! My mate has just rebuilt a 1943 Ford GPr ( Willys) Jeep

all threads are UNC or UNF, luckily another mate bought out an Engineers merchants dead stock....nothing but UNC and UNF. He is as happy as a 🐷 in 💩 

We must be lucky around here...Tamworth area ... we have a small private owned company which stocks and sells the most amazing range of screws and nuts and bolts, fasteners etc etc., and they will happily sell you just one if that is all you need.    Paddocks or John Craddocks will have the bolt you need dedicated LR parts suppliers and in my experience first class service.