Bad start on the beans

dad

decided to look at the beans today drilled last friday and the track to wet to get anywhere near the field.sunday and monday more rain then a couple of dry days and good wind might just have put a crust on for us to get closer.we pulled up at the gate and could see about 500 with the bins so i got out of the car and tested the ground it  seemed firm enough so we drove down the track comfortably turned the corner another 50yds and we were in the swamp my mate had no wellies so it was down to me to get out and see what could be done, after a brief recci it was obvious we couldnt go forward it just got wetter so back the way we came was the only option slightly up hill in reverse. I scouted around in a spinny and got some branches and stuffed them under the wheels after  a lot of pushing by me and clutch burning after an hour we managed to get back to the corner.we sat and watched for a while and there was a strong flight line to the top of the field were we came in by the road and houses to close for comfort and a savage wind in your face too, we then noticed the wheelings and they were firm coming off the corner and down the field bypassing the swamp to the other side of the field so we drove down to the hedge at the bottom which was close to the flight line but wind in face. My mate decided to go other side of hedge with wind  off his back on un cultivated field and set up there i went back to the edge of the spinney where the swamp was and got in the ditch with water in it but wind of my back, the flightline was about 80yds to my left but it was the best i could do i put out the rotary 3 dead birds on cradles and some half shells that kept blowing about,it wasnt long before some birds started to come in and very challenging they were too those that came from the front were about 4 feet up below the wind, over shot the deeks in my face before i knew it me waving arms to turn them and them going over the top of the low spinney to join the others up near the houses some would come from the left fly up the edge of the spinney and look like they were coming in only to nip over the top of the spinney at 60yds some came a bit further and were dealt with and dropped on the swamp track, one that i dropped i knew wasnt dead and didnt want it walking into the spinney which was like a jungle full of brambles so i walked to pick it up it saw me coming and put a spurt on so i started running to head it off it beat me to the jungle by inches and that was the last i saw of it challenging birds continued to come i shot poorly i think 25 picked up 3 lost in the jungle 4 crows for 75 shots i always find decoying in a strong wind difficult they dont fly in a straight line long enough. My mate got 13 for 39.

20200312_170622_compress89.jpg

Nice one ( dad ) , our barley drilling started yesterday so hopefully it might produce a bit of sport in a few days time but nowadays I don't get over excited when drilling is in process with very little grain left behind .

As for wind , I was out yesterday and to me the wind was very strong and bitterly cold , at one time we had a heavy shower that contained hail , we often pray for a bit of wind but this year I can't remember the last calm day I went , still we can't alter the weather .

Well done dad for giving it a fair go, I have problems hitting them in high winds which is all we've had here for weeks, the rape has now been top dressed and is away, birds have lost interest in it so now its back on the road to find them again, saw a few on some grass and clover but still looking.

8 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

Well done dad for giving it a fair go, I have problems hitting them in high winds which is all we've had here for weeks, the rape has now been top dressed and is away, birds have lost interest in it so now its back on the road to find them again, saw a few on some grass and clover but still looking.

Our bean field probably has more on top than under it we see a lot of that here but cereal is alway sparse. Every ash tree late afternoon has birds eating new growth.