Bring back the Poll Tax

Walker570

Just got my new local tax bill for 2020 and again it has gone up considerably. Now we have to shell out over £60 a weekbecause we live in a nice old house in a nice village location where house prices remain high and people want to live.  There are just two of us here , both pensioners and apart from the council taking a small amount of household rubbish away every two weeks and occasionally cutting the grass verges then that is about all we see in return for our money. Anyone driving any of the roads leading out of the village have to do so very carefully to avoid the numerous potholes which never get repaired and I regularly see cars on the sie of the road with wrecked tyres and wheels....you cannot see them at night. 

I certainly favoured the Poll Tax when it was introduced before and believe every person living in a council area, even if in a caravan who is of working age should be paying their fair share.  It makes me even more furious when I see people queing at Post Office counters for payments when they are more than capable of earning a living...that's after most of them have lost a few stone in weight mind you ...... funny isn't it, these so called poor people they put on telly are always seriously fat and over weight.

RANT OVER.

Edited by Walker570

14 minutes ago, sam triple said:

ok im not to clued up on this , my mrs has helped my mum a mates mum and her parents by getting them to claim Attendence allowance  , not sure what it the critearia is , apart from a bit of form filling my be worth looking into though and getting a bit back

If you have more than a few thousand in savings you get sweet FA.

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

If you have more than a few thousand in savings you get sweet FA.

not necessarily  true her old mans got a wedge and he got it , don't think its means tested ,more something you are entitled to ,whats the worse that can happen other than filling a form and being told NO ,

14 minutes ago, sam triple said:

not necessarily  true her old mans got a wedge and he got it , don't think its means tested ,more something you are entitled to ,whats the worse that can happen other than filling a form and being told NO ,

Yep, one of the few, Attendance Allowance is a payment available to people aged over 65 who, due to an illness or disability need help, not sure that applies to walker?

Poll tax means the landowner in the big house pays the same as the gamekeeper, no? I stand to be corrected! That was, essentially, quite unfair. 

Whilst the current situation is not great for particularly older people (my folks and in-laws included) who are asset rich but cash poor, it can’t be worse than the poll tax. 

2 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

The answer is simple - a local income tax with a minimum payment whether you earn or not.

Too sensible! 

The income tax would be protested by those with money, the minimum payment by those without... 

However you dress it up there is always winners and losers........usually in the UK, governments, both national and local, go for the Robin Hood approach! “robbing the rich to give to the poor!”..........but this approach fails to recognise, that some people lie and some don’t! And the apparent rich are not necessarily rich, and the apparent poor, are not always poor!..........but that’s how public services are financed!

There was a large pot hole near the kids' school that had been an issue for a few weeks. Everyone at the school was aware of it, and moaned to each other about it.

My wife decided to report it to the Council. They visited that afternoon, and fixed it the next day. In all that time, and moaning, my wife was the first to report it to the council, who to their credit, got straight on it.

41 minutes ago, treetree said:

There was a large pot hole near the kids' school that had been an issue for a few weeks. Everyone at the school was aware of it, and moaned to each other about it.

My wife decided to report it to the Council. They visited that afternoon, and fixed it the next day. In all that time, and moaning, my wife was the first to report it to the council, who to their credit, got straight on it.

That’s today’s society though- expect and moan, but unable to take action

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just got my new local tax bill for 2020 and again it has gone up considerably. Now we have to shell out over £60 a weekbecause we live in a nice old house in a nice village location where house prices remain high and people want to live.  There are just two of us here , both pensioners and apart from the council taking a small amount of household rubbish away every two weeks and occasionally cutting the grass verges then that is about all we see in return for our money. Anyone driving any of the roads leading out of the village have to do so very carefully to avoid the numerous potholes which never get repaired and I regularly see cars on the sie of the road with wrecked tyres and wheels....you cannot see them at night. 

I certainly favoured the Poll Tax when it was introduced before and believe every person living in a council area, even if in a caravan who is of working age should be paying their fair share.  It makes me even more furious when I see people queing at Post Office counters for payments when they are more than capable of earning a living...that's after most of them have lost a few stone in weight mind you ...... funny isn't it, these so called poor people they put on telly are always seriously fat and over weight.

RANT OVER.

Poverty has changed, during the war poverty meant starvation. 

These days it means not being able to afford proper food and having to survive off cheap junk. 

Other countries are seeing the same, people living in actual slums having a lot of obesity and related health conditions due to only being able to afford junk food. 

I’ll try and find the link to the video I saw on it. Was interesting. 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Poverty has changed, during the war poverty meant starvation. 

These days it means not being able to afford proper food and having to survive off cheap junk. 

All the while watching Sky tv on the latest smart tele and scouring social media on the latest smart phone, whilst smoking a fag and drinking some alcohol. :hmm: 

i used to think the same way until i found out it’s all government pr to make the needy appear lazy scroungers my daughter deals with no end of people in genuine need from pensioners eating scraps to single mums almost at the point of self harm putting the lazy and obese on tv is all a front to con the public the needy don’t exist 

8 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Why not report the potholes to the council then next time you get a damaged tyre wheel you claim against them , getting something back ? for your money 

We do and nothing happens, maybe some smart suited guy in a new motor drives up and sprays yellow marker paint around it, which through time wears off.

54 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

d related health conditions due to only being able to afford junk food. 

I'm on the left of the political spectrum but I struggle with this one. Provided you have access to a gas ring and a pot, I'd posit that it's far  cheaper to eat healthily than it is to eat instant or pre-prepared junk. 

7 hours ago, old'un said:

Yep, one of the few, Attendance Allowance is a payment available to people aged over 65 who, due to an illness or disability need help, not sure that applies to walker?

No it doesn't and I do not mind paying my share...our share.  The very few very rich are a side line, in my view everyone as said should pay their share of the cost of running their community and it should not be based on the house they decide to live in, which has no bearing on services provided.  If we go by the present system then every time you buy a packet of corflakes the owner of a more expensive house should pay more for it than someone living in a caravan. 

Just now, Retsdon said:

I'm on the left of the political spectrum but I struggle with this one. Provided you have access to a gas ring and a pot, I'd posit that it's far  cheaper to eat healthily than it is to eat instant or pre-prepared junk. 

Exactly.  There is plenty of good healthy food available today at remarkably cheap prices but todays younger generation haven't a clue how to cook a meal to start with.  Junk food is expensive in contrast.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If we go by the present system then every time you buy a packet of corflakes the owner of a more expensive house should pay more for it than someone living in a caravan. 

Sure - why not? The problem is that differential sales taxes are  - without the technology - difficult to manage, but really that would be the equitable way to go. Cornflakes isn't a good example because they're zero rated but a cadbury's chocolate bar, for example, attracts the full 20%. So an OAP struggling to live off a basic pension who pays 20%VAT on the bar is paying a far higher percentage of his overall income in tax to buy himself a little treat than is a bloke on 500 quid a week. Or the owner of a string of buy to let houses. How can that be fair?