Sign in to follow this  
Jacko3275

Your thought

Last week I went out with jdog and we shot in the 20s in 4 hours (although there was a lot of chopping and changing)to me this is a very good day Out ... I hear about 100+ bags on winter rape via YouTube just wondered what you guys call a good day out  this time of year 

Numbers don’t really mean a lot to me as long as I’ve had a good day out and is only really revalant on the amount of birds about , no matter how many we get we always want more 

Between 50 and 100 on winter rape is a very good day but this year for me its been a complete disaster as most of the rape failed, nothing to hold the birds.

For me any day out is a good day ! I’ve never had huge bags and generally use what I shot ! So I’d maybe love to shoot a mega bag I’d be wondering what to do with them all ! If I can get out and shoot a few I’m happy 

Any day out with the gun is a good day. If i do not get a shot all day i am still happy just to be out in the countryside 

12 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I’m a wildfowler! :hmm:lol!

Screwed for a few month then 

Posted (edited)

I shoot a few big bags a year,but at this time of year I'm happy with 20, last Saturday I managed 38 and to be honest I loved it.

Edited by muncher

2 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Screwed for a few month then 

Nope! Any wildfowler banking on coming home with a duck or goose every time.........will not be a wildfowler for long! Lol!

5 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Don't equate number of pigeons with how good your day was....

if you have 100s decoy and come away with none is it a good or bad day .. your pattern worked but you shot like ****  or 3 decoyed and you hit all three is this your field craft was **** but you shot good

Any day out at the minute is a good one. Got a 3 year old and a 7 day old baby as well as working shifts. Not been out for a while. 

Congratulations I was with jdog when you text him about your new bundle of joy She will keep you busy for a while 

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Any day out at the minute is a good one. Got a 3 year old and a 7 day old baby as well as working shifts. Not been out for a while. 

4 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Congratulations I was with jdog when you text him about your new bundle of joy She will keep you busy for a while 

Many thanks. She's eating constantly at the min and isint to keen on sleep. Typical. 

I have had as many , if not more enjoyable days with moderate bags than I have had with big bags , if we are honest we all go through a phrase where the bigger the bag the better , if we put a barrel across a sitting pigeon we are not doing it for the sport we are doing it to increase our numbers and the bigger the bag , the better it sound .

Now I am at a age with a good few pigeon shooting years behind me where the day is all about enjoyment and not the size of the bag , I would term shooting about 30 in an afternoon as a decent bag , you have had a nice lot of shooting , a bag you can carry off the field without doing yourself an injury and you can remember a lot of the ones you have shot , a perfect way to spend half a day shooting pigeons. 

I don’t think I have ever not enjoyed a day out with the gun. Some I enjoy more than others. One of my most memorable days recently resulted in 4 pigeons shot shortly after dawn on the beautiful frosty morning. In short, the size of the bag is only one factor of making a successful day out.

My measure of a good day is the company I keep when out shooting. It would appear that I haven’t had a good day for years.