Your thought

Jacko3275

I’ve often packed up when I reached 50 even if the day looked like it would produce the ton. Collecting, carrying and finding an outlet for the shot birds is far more important to me than impressive numbers. Oh and I’ve never pretended to be an agent of vermin control, yes the birds are destructive but I want them around forever. 

14 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Any day out at the minute is a good one. Got a 3 year old and a 7 day old baby as well as working shifts. Not been out for a while. 

My time shooting hasn't improved much since mine were that sorta age.... now 7 and 5 years old and I'm lucky to get out at all. In the last year I've shot 2 lines of skeet and had one day in the fields. Roll on spring, summer and brighter nights, im planning more shooting and a few evenings fishing my local river

I don't necessarily judge a day on numbers. I might shoot over 100 and not enjoy it that much if I gave shot poorly. I may enjoy a bag of 30 or so a lot, especially if I have shot well. At this time of year I am happy with that kind of bag.

I do enjoy the often frantic nature of a big bag day. I wouldn't want to be without them!

On 13/03/2020 at 21:26, clangerman said:

a good day is when you realise it’s more satisfying to trick them into coming in than it is to shoot them 

I like that - very true. I think when you're younger that numbers are more important but as you "mature" you realise it's not all about pulling he trigger and filling the game bags. I hope I never lose the thrill of seeing a high pigeon react to the decoys and dive bomb into the pattern.

2 hours ago, kippylawkid said:

I like that - very true. I think when you're younger that numbers are more important but as you "mature" you realise it's not all about pulling he trigger and filling the game bags. I hope I never lose the thrill of seeing a high pigeon react to the decoys and dive bomb into the pattern.

I fully agree , I am well past the stage where we say we do it for crop protection , I am mainly there for the sport if I am honest , I admit I am often on a crop because that is where I found the pigeons , but I dare say there are many more pigeons shot on stubble's that don't really come on the heading as crop protection .

You also have to take in consideration that some counties hold a lot more pigeons than others , and it would take as much skill getting a smallish bag if pigeons in that county are thin on the ground than it would getting a bigger bag if the county hold a good stock of pigeons , trouble is pigeon shooting have always been a numbers game and up to a point it still is .

22 hours ago, marsh man said:

I fully agree , I am well past the stage where we say we do it for crop protection , I am mainly there for the sport if I am honest , I admit I am often on a crop because that is where I found the pigeons , but I dare say there are many more pigeons shot on stubble's that don't really come on the heading as crop protection .

You also have to take in consideration that some counties hold a lot more pigeons than others , and it would take as much skill getting a smallish bag if pigeons in that county are thin on the ground than it would getting a bigger bag if the county hold a good stock of pigeons , trouble is pigeon shooting have always been a numbers game and up to a point it still is .

I think pigeon shooting is about numbers to a large extent. If it wasn't, people would just set up on any old field. There would be little point in trying to find the "best" field to shoot on.

I think the average shooter is expected to shoot where the landowner needs him or her, one manager I look after panics if 6 pigeons land in one of his fields, which is great for me as I am always busy but not much chance of big bags, I am happy to be out, or on call, to get a few hours with the gun and insure my perm is there when the numbers do build up, my favourite time is from late July through till September, on any stubble field, best last year was two days on pea stubble with a 74 and a 71, but very rare for East Norfolk, normal good bags are between 35 and 50 which thankfully is achievable pretty much all year round, having said that, my average for the last 6 outings on rape has been just 8, which has meant no more for the freezer as I recycle these as fresh decoys every 2 weeks or so, the wife doesn't like the old smelly ones in the fridge , it's in the shed but she uses the clothes dryer and complains  that it stinks in there, shame!!🤬