Difficult feeding J.Russell puppy

My parents have been in touch to say they're really struggling getting said 15 week old beastie to eat. He's supposed to be on dry puppy mix (Eukanuba 1-12 months) but he's barely eating anything.

So far they've tried:

Soaking it (no joy, he ignores it)

Gravy mixed in (shunned)

bits of chicken in with it (he picks the chicken out)

Feeding him on his own to give him space (he wanders off)

Feeding him with the labrador to spark competition (he wanders off)

taking some out and leaving it on the floor (picks at it, then wanders off)

Before coming to them, it was a case of grazing; there was always food down and he'd pick at it as the day went by, but if that happens here, the lab will eat it all eventually and they really want to be getting him on regular, fixed meals. Any bright ideas would be great - either a solution or a guess at the problem. He's not putting on weight as he should be, so it's a bit of a concern for them.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

cook it some mince........(beef)

If it doesn't eat that then make a cottage pie with it.   I think let the little dog go without for 24hrs, it will do it no harm. We tend to think dogs need feeding at intervals like us, they often don't .... ok a lab will eat anything anytime but with my viszlas they didn't always want food and would often ask when hungry. They can be picky eaters as well.  Of course always bear in mind there might be an underlying cause, but from what you say it was a bit spoiled in its earlier life.

I have had an update. Today's seen a breakthrough; his main meal midday was entirely finished, which is good. Nothing was different about it (same amount, same type), but it all went. He's also putting on weight, apparently, so that's all the more encouraging. The Labrador's gutted; no chance of food theft from him now!

Great to see the "old beastie" on the mend and eating again 🙂

Tracking back,,,, could he have swallowed something that caused a slight blockage but then passed through ?

One of my GF's springers had a penchant for her woollen socks. He ate one which passed through,,,, no real signs of being unwell. Then a couple of years ago he ate another,,,, for a week he didn't eat much,,,, head hanging, tail not up,,,, generally looking poorly, but eating OK. Then one day he started being sick,,,, vomiting. The sock came out in one heave, and he was fine straight away.

So might be a good idea to feel him around his stomach/gut area just in case something is still lurking in there. Eating stones is a common occurrence, but I'm sure you know that.

Nice looking dog,,,, his mate too 😉

• 2 weeks later...

My JRT was a fussy little sod at first, but we held firm & only put food down for him at the allotted mealtimes. If he didn’t eat it, the bowl was taken away (or was eaten by the spaniel if we weren’t quick enough). It took him 24hrs to eat something when it was put down & a week of enforced mealtimes until he figured out what he had to do. He’s been fine since with his food (Skinners Maintenance with Butcher’s tinned tripe/sardines in oil once a week)

43 minutes ago, ditchman said:

those 2 are going to be thick as thieves....if not already........

oh they are! it was bad timing on his part at first. The first few days he was with them, the lab had been a bit under the weather and wasn't feeling up to much play. Henry settled in thinking this was a calm, peaceful friend. The she got better...

I don't know if you remember but a few month ago I posted about how she'd gone over a 215ft cliff? not doing too badly, is she?!