Clearing out shed

AVB

Following on from my previous post I continued clearing out my shed today concentrating on the shelves and anything that hadn’t been eaten by the mice. I must have a fetish for rawplugs that I wasn’t aware of. I found hundreds of them. All colours. From the standard to the sophisticated, engineered to enable you to hang your car from the wall. 

I have no recollection of buying them to be honest. And to make things worse whenever I bought something that came with rawplugs included (a shelf for example) that I didn’t end up using I obviously kept the little plastic bag with the rawplugs in ‘just in case’ I was ever short of them. Came across loads of packets like that as well. 

2 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Remember mum had a big Tim full of buttons .

I've still got my dear old Mum's woven basket that she kept all her buttons, cotton, needles, pins etc in, which has got to be at least 60 years old, as I first remember it when I was about 10 and remember 'borrowing' cotton reels to make cotton reel tanks.

I took possession of it when I was 16 when my Mum sadly passed away at the early age of 53 and treasure it dearly.

When I first introduced the current Mrs.Old Boggy to it and showed her the darning mushroom therein, she didn't have a clue what is was, let alone how to use it :no:.

Not only was that darning mushroom used to darn our socks, but also our woollen swimming trunks, the ones that hung down to your knees when wet.:lol:

Kids today don't know they're born !

OB

53 minutes ago, The Heron said:

They have to be the old style cross head all different lengths and sizes and rusty. 

Yep, like Mel says every shedsman should/will have one, my tin contains allsorts, slot and crosshead and also a few nuts and bolts for good measure.

Buttons, my mother, like so many in the day was a mend and make do person, she was very organised, all her buttons were in clear jars and as much as possible the buttons in one jar would be of a similar colour, it was a bit of a treat for me and my sister when she got the big box out containing allsorts sowing paraphernalia, one of the smaller boxes contained about a dozen thimbles, we would put one on each figure just for a bit of fun, simple days long gone in this throw away society.    

It was a Mackintoshes toffee tin full of buttons that I remember, and my favourite task as a littl'un was sorting the faceted polished glass "treasure" of many colours and the painted buttons from the boring white shirt and grey trouser buttons. There were the occasional leather turk's head overcoat buttons too.

Nostalgia, eh!