Random Finds.

walshie

2 hours ago, kernel gadaffi said:

I once found a 12" wire fishing trace with a size 5 Mepps attached to it, the odd thing, it was up on the moors when I was grouse beating and at least 4 miles from any ponds, lakes or rivers.

Guess it was tangled around a bird or perhaps attached to a fish picked up by a bird of prey?

When dredging was undergoing in our home town river back in the mid seventies, a mate and me would spend a fair amount of time ratching in the heaps of what was dumped on the river banking. I found a WW1 rifle grenade! 

As kids we would ratch on the council tip; I once found a complete set of cigarette cards of Hollywood stars from about the 1940’s, and a tin with an interesting rattle turned out to be full of dentures! 😳

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I found a high explosive mortar round left by a metal detectoring club who left it 20 metres from a children’s nursery, bomb squad did a controlled detonation on the farm, metal detector club banned for life

As kids we quite often found unexploded mortar bombs on the cliffs and beach (North Kent coast) late fifties, left over from the war. Normal practice was to inform the local bobby who then got hold of the bomb disposal who gave us kids great pleasure watching from a distance as they carried out a controlled explosion.

Normal practice if you trod on one, was to launch yourself fifty feet in the air and scatter yourself over a wide area. This last bit is courtesy of Blackadder and of course never happened.:yahoo:

OB

Blow up doll, used and complete with hairy bits. Still traumatised by that 30+ years later.

Trailer A-frame off a big trailer in the middle of a field. My field, not off any trailer of mine. Sold it for £150.

Artificial leg.

Used to find live .303 rounds quite regularly, left over from war training. Used to cut them up and light the cordite.

A fellow Scout Leader is a Mudlark on the Thames. You have to be registered and have training fron The Port of London. He brought in the ammunition he has found around 20 rounds.

I can understand the .303 and to some extent the .45ACP, 9mm and .38 as stuff that could have been dropped during WWII but half of it was unusual pistol calibers.I should have asked if he found the 7.65mm outside the MI6/SIS building.

Edited by Dibble

25 rounds of mauser 7.92x 57 link dug up at the end of my neighbours garden, still live. This was 35 years ago in the centre of essex. We definitely had some poundings from luftwaffe nearby as the Lord Rayleigh dairy was a target, there's plenty of 80 year old fishing pond opportunities in fields five miles all around the old dairy. 
 Didn't help that the previous neighbour was a 15 year old hitler youth who miraculously became a polish refugee when the war ended.