pigeon shooting with steel

hankook1

Hi all,

Ok I have shot pigeons for over forty years now and have always shot lead , But I have decided its worth trying out steel shot so I've bought a slab of game bore steel 32gm no 4 and a slab of Eley steel 32gm no 5  and I am open to advice from pigeon shooters who already use steel shot, first are these a wise choice of loads for shooting over decoys and secondly what can I expect to experience in the way they differ from lead loads, I would rather hear your views than research it online as you guys have already made the transition and should be able to offer me the best advise , regarding distances performance etc .

Regards alf.

I haven't swopped over yet but have used some steel , basically see how they worked , used32g 4s I just pulled the distance in a little bit , don't think I needed too , for me they seemed the same I missed as many so no change , will swop over completely when I've used up what I have , only just moved over to fibre so one step at a time  

Some will tell you that you`ll be knee deep in crippled birds because steel doesn`t work and that your gun barrells will be deeply scored moments before your gun blows up in a steel induced holocaust.

In reality you`ll hardly notice any difference. The birds will be dead if you put the shot in the right place and your gun will neither be ruined nor will it blow up.

You`ll wonder what all the fuss was about. Your choice of cartridges is excellent. Enjoy the transition.

Been trying both you mention in eco wad  for a while and shot Crows Friday with these next to Gamebore black gold 32 no6 and Clear Pigeon  32g no 6, my initial impressions haven’t changed after 3 months, the head to head comparison was conclusive :

Much more recoil, to the point of being unpleasant on a busy day

Less lethal and less clean kills, birds take longer to die or need dispatching 

More meat damage, steel seems to go through rather than dump energy, the meat is shredded and would explain less lethality (a new word?)

In conclusion, I’ll be sticking to lead for now but will try again when new alternatives arrive.

17 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i went to buy abox of steel just to try it, and the gun smith told me not to bother as i would only end up throwing them in the hedge.so never bought any.will stay on lead for the next 5 years.

So if that same gun smith told you your gun was useless throw it in the hedge would you. 

So much bullpooop spoke and believed about Steel shot.

21 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

I tried this weekend to buy some of the Eley Bio Wad to try on pigeons and crows next weekend and out of 7 Gunshops there was 1 box at Just Cartridges. Either very popular or they’re not stocking them 

Or limited manufacturing capacity for the wad manufacture. 

its because they have 1000s of lead carts to get rid off first as they probably can't send them back for a refund as had em for a while that's understandable, I got mine from just cartridges as wanted to try them out as I was curious how they might perform, and I would imagine in 5 years time lead will be all but a thing of the past and steel loads will be the main choices, so might as well start now, I don't like it anymore than anyone else but in 5 years lets hope they can make further improvements .

5 minutes ago, hankook1 said:

its because they have 1000s of lead carts to get rid off first as they probably can't send them back for a refund

Well I can help them with that at the right price. How did you get on with them 

Edited by 8 shot

I eat what I shoot. I have a gob that inside has more metal than a redundant Sheffield foundry and more ceramic in it than a Stoke on Trent outlet shop. Steel shot game or steel shot pigeons are going nowhere near my mouth just as I long ago stopped eating shot wild duck for the same reason. And Waitrose and the BASC backed British Game Alliance will also find that out when the "no blame no claim" lawyers start the proceedings against them for cracked crowns, chipped teeth and fractured fillings. Then what's going to happen once because legal free for all of that that steel shot game becomes unsaleable?

Edited by enfieldspares

having tried steel just for a laugh at my expense back in the 60s my self and some other individuals were given both barrels by a irate irish farmer going from the state of us i would say had he used steel we might have come of slightly better but not by much so don’t try it for yourself as the pain is unreal 

Ah yes, BUT all of the blurb tells us that there have been no issues of broken teeth due to steel shot, mind you it was also stated that we have got rid of lead in paint, and several other of it's uses, including.................................wait for it...................PIPES  !  I can only presume that they must have meant Gas piping  ?  I am sick of hearing about pregnant women and children who can seriously be affected by LEAD, then they all go home and use water supplied through LEAD  !  Even had someone who refuses to take the kids near shooting grounds because they can breathe in LEAD dust, yet you can bet that person will take his kids out onto Britain's roads, where, of course, they are perfectly safe   !