Steel cartridge prices

How much are steel cartridges per box of 25? I don't have a massive amount of storage to be buying them in bulk and usually 3 or 4 boxes at a time is plenty to keep me going. My usual cartridges are something like a 30gram 6 GB country fibre wad (affordable for me and do the job). So with a transition to steel how much would a box of standard pressure cartridges come in at? All the prices I see are for slabs of cartridges and the just cartridges guys don't deliver to northern ireland anyway 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Your forgetting about the biodegradable wad policy that puts them at around £11.50 per box for the eley offering.

I haven't forgotten, I can't get them so wouldn't even consider them right now.

I've got about 40 of the GB in 3's and 4's and about 20 3" lightning's, plenty for now. I was assuming the op was after standard steel loads.

Yep standard steel loads as that's all my guns are proofed for....until I get another gun to handle the more spicy stuff. Thanks for the info guys.

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

Eley vip steel, Just Cartridges £7.30/25

Unfortunately they won't deliver to northern ireland.

Just now, Rob85 said:

Yep standard steel loads as that's all my guns are proofed for....until I get another gun to handle the more spicy stuff. Thanks for the info guys.

Was given as a guide. I get mine from the local clay ground, an eley dealer.

35 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Was given as a guide. I get mine from the local clay ground, an eley dealer.

Sorry i took the post wrong but thanks for the guide price... is there usually much difference between them and a local dealer? My local clay ground is where I'm going to have a look at another gun and was going to enquire about steel cartridges. Seems to be over here some places look at you like you have 2 heads when you ask about steel. I asked another rfd about non toxic for ducks about 10 years ago and was told to do what everyone else done and just use lead anyway

Edited by Rob85
Spelling

2 hours ago, lksopener said:

Tried some of the Eley VIP eco-wad, still early days but not impressing as yet. 

about £9.50 a box 

One of the top pigeon shooters in the country has given them the thumbs up.

3 hours ago, Rob85 said:

What gun do you own? You will more than likely be fine with spicy steel.

11 hours ago, motty said:

One of the top pigeon shooters in the country has given them the thumbs up.

What gun do you own? You will more than likely be fine with spicy steel.

A 1966 built aya yeoman s/s and a 1983 built sarasketa o/u. Both 12bore double trigger non ejectors with 2 3/4 inch chambers and choked half and full. I have my father in laws gun as well now but it's irrelevant as it feels as loose as Diane Abbott grasp on maths.

This is typical of the stress steel wads are put through in steel shot loading, blown split skirts torn wad pettals.

So any card cups need to be tough, and any gas sealing needs to be robust .  Loading a few test loads this weekend showed the gas seal area is the weakest link. These were on fast steel loads in the 1550/ 1600fps range.

Card sleeving i made was from chinese rice lids just cut to same size as maylar wrappers and onto op card then op felt, then pre glued 12ga nitro card 16ga nitro card and the wrapper." used a 12ga case to hold the wrapper in place while it set. . Just used gorilla glue.  But looking for a better glue. it held together and i used EX CGR copper platted Steel 4s to try and help if bore contact happened. gun i used i got for the job a Fabarm euro 3 luxe dead rough , it lost 3 inch of its barrel and its multi choke to a hacksaw attack, in a previous life. Bore is mint, and 30 rounds not a mark. Found wadding most not intact but sieving looked fine and was in tact. found very few of the base sections.

images.jpeg.80ec638fbe85aa2069fa36b4d12e3e53.jpeg

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

This is typical of the stress steel wads are put through in steel shot loading, blown split skirts torn wad pettals.

So any card cups need to be tough, and any gas sealing needs to be robust .  Loading a few test loads this weekend showed the gas seal area is the weakest link. These were on fast steel loads in the 1550/ 1600fps range.

Card sleeving i made was from chinese rice lids just cut to same size as maylar wrappers and onto op card then op felt, then pre glued 12ga nitro card 16ga nitro card and the wrapper." used a 12ga case to hold the wrapper in place while it set. . Just used gorilla glue.  But looking for a better glue. it held together and i used EX CGR copper platted Steel 4s to try and help if bore contact happened. gun i used i got for the job a Fabarm euro 3 luxe dead rough , it lost 3 inch of its barrel and its multi choke to a hacksaw attack, in a previous life. Bore is mint, and 30 rounds not a mark. Found wadding most not intact but sieving looked fine and was in tact. found very few of the base sections.

images.jpeg.80ec638fbe85aa2069fa36b4d12e3e53.jpeg

Reckon you could do a video or a picture sequence of making that shot cup? Could be of use to any loading I do in the future and other reloaders trying to make a good shot cup for themselves.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Reckon you could do a video or a picture sequence of making that shot cup? Could be of use to any loading I do in the future and other reloaders trying to make a good shot cup for themselves.

I dont mind doing that, its simple just two nitro cards a 12 and a 16 glued together and yjr wrap overlapping/ glued slide into a new 12ga case until it sets.    Its the gas seal aspect i am not decided on yet  Inverted cup is great, but not sure it will survive the internal ballistics. I used the test loads with plastic gas seals and the soft over powder fibres as you get from siarm. 

These seemed fine with a op card and could not tell any difference to the plastic seal. It sounds complicated, but i assembled 30 just as any load and i used a paper guillotine to cut my wrappers, and what wrappers i found were not pin holed and were in surprisingly good condition. I have used these rice lids on reloads for OP and top cards for 30 years always tough.

Guest cookoff013
22 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Sorry i took the post wrong but thanks for the guide price... is there usually much difference between them and a local dealer? My local clay ground is where I'm going to have a look at another gun and was going to enquire about steel cartridges. Seems to be over here some places look at you like you have 2 heads when you ask about steel. I asked another rfd about non toxic for ducks about 10 years ago and was told to do what everyone else done and just use lead anyway

Yeah, thatll be useless retail staff Who have no clue. 

I did the same thing except i had some special order bismuth shells. These were awful. I then invested in reloading. 

14 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

Yeah, thatll be useless retail staff Who have no clue. 

I did the same thing except i had some special order bismuth shells. These were awful. I then invested in reloading. 

As far as investing in reloading goes I will probably get into it as I like tinkering with stuff and I can sit and play at a bench in much the same way as I like to the fishing flies!