Steel cartridge prices

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Best move you could make.

Only if for the foreseeable future of reloading you either make your own wads or pay £150 plus for the fibre cup wads to get biodegradable wads.

None of the mainstream wad manufacture have any biodegradable wads underdevelopment despite years of looking at the issue, the cartridge manufactures will take all they can get of the water soluble wads so current demand will outstrip supply.

hence why basc keep refusing to verify beyond doubt that the cartridge industry were consulted prior to the announcement.

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

Only if for the foreseeable future of reloading you either make your own wads or pay £150 plus for the fibre cup wads to get biodegradable wads.

None of the mainstream wad manufacture have any biodegradable wads underdevelopment despite years of looking at the issue, the cartridge manufactures will take all they can get of the water soluble wads so current demand will outstrip supply.

hence why basc keep refusing to verify beyond doubt that the cartridge industry were consulted prior to the announcement.

Reloading has way more to offer than any monetary saving or short term bio wad supply line.

Mitty I’ve tried shooting geese over decoys with both lead and steel ( inland Scotland ) we also did a blind testing and with respect it was a wee while ago but the kills with lead are far superior ....... I do not have one single steel cartridge 

Sorry Motty 

1 hour ago, Salmo said:

Mitty I’ve tried shooting geese over decoys with both lead and steel ( inland Scotland ) we also did a blind testing and with respect it was a wee while ago but the kills with lead are far superior ....... I do not have one single steel cartridge 

Sorry Motty 

Change the record please.

Tell you what this coming season free of charge my grandson and myself will give you a lesson in whether Steel shot kill's Geese cleanly flighted not decoyed using 32gram Steel 3's ( grandson with 12ga ) and I'll use heavy artillery 20ga 1oz Steel 3's .

1 hour ago, Salmo said:

Sorry Motty 

What do you mean by FAR SUPERIOR ?   IN WHAT WAY?

Far superior ...... range , stopping power , more stone dead kills . Last year when we played about experimenting lead came out on top every time . I’m doing a cull this year in September and I’ll try the same again ( this year the cull will be 4 days ) and I’ll let you know the results but I stand by what I say 

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Change the record please.

Tell you what this coming season free of charge my grandson and myself will give you a lesson in whether Steel shot kill's Geese cleanly flighted not decoyed using 32gram Steel 3's ( grandson with 12ga ) and I'll use heavy artillery 20ga 1oz Steel 3's .

Aye tell you what if your that good I’ll get you up here with me to flight geese on my daughters farm and you publish the results here ...... I’ll even pay for your trip .... I flight them going to a small Loch and use a Benelli with Winchester super xx or power piston 2s ........... and you recon you can drop greylags  at 45 / 50 yards with a 20 bore ......... I know I can ....... but then again what do I know I’ve only shot 3000 plus . Now I’ve said all I’m saying on the matter 

14 minutes ago, Salmo said:

Aye tell you what if your that good I’ll get you up here with me to flight geese on my daughters farm and you publish the results here ...... I’ll even pay for your trip .... I flight them going to a small Loch and use a Benelli with Winchester super xx or power piston 2s ........... and you recon you can drop greylags  at 45 / 50 yards with a 20 bore ......... I know I can ....... but then again what do I know I’ve only shot 3000 plus . Now I’ve said all I’m saying on the matter 

I'm definitely up for that and with it being videod for all to see. There's a few members on PW have seen what a 20ga and Steel does on Geese. As for stating your shot 3000 Geese it's not a Peeing contest but as your mentioned it way way behind myself but then to be fair i did for 11years cull Geese on Islay again using a 20ga admitted with lead in those days.

Now just my advice/opinion if yourself and others are happy using whatever shot type size along with gun crack on be happy but please don't assume because you can't others can't or don't.

A few years ago i had a similar healthy debate with a fellow Wildfowler . True to my word i took him on several flights where he saw plenty of Geese cleanly killed with steel from a 20ga.

No matter what we use don't hit them right they don't come down.

two pellets in the head / neck  beats ten in the backside don't matter what shot type  or cost       however if you home load steel  you can tailor your load  to what works for you    its all about the pattern and hitting power      every one has their opinion  what works for them does not work for others      some if it kicks like a mule it must be good  lead or steel    some spray and pray hope something falls our      others one shot one  kill        not every one kills with lead every  time  and blame steel   as no good         initial setup a reloading press and scales for as cheap as you can find     shot powder and wads the same    if you kill consistently with a home load it will be worth it     and be cheaper than shop bought loads    less cripples  and clean kills    steel loaded right kills  as all  lead and non toxic if loaded right          off the shelf steel found to be lacking   others will disagree     I load to kill consistently with all shot types   the rest is down to me 

1 minute ago, Saltings said:

two pellets in the head / neck  beats ten in the backside don't matter what shot type  or cost       however if you home load steel  you can tailor your load  to what works for you    its all about the pattern and hitting power      every one has their opinion  what works for them does not work for others      some if it kicks like a mule it must be good  lead or steel    some spray and pray hope something falls our      others one shot one  kill        not every one kills with lead every  time  and blame steel   as no good         initial setup a reloading press and scales for as cheap as you can find     shot powder and wads the same    if you kill consistently with a home load it will be worth it     and be cheaper than shop bought loads    less cripples  and clean kills    steel loaded right kills  as all  lead and non toxic if loaded right          off the shelf steel found to be lacking   others will disagree     I load to kill consistently with all shot types   the rest is down to me 

how do you work that one out???

Just now, andrewluke said:

how do you work that one out???

over many  years      many hours at a duck pond  and   many  many hours on the fore shore  many hours shooting pigeons through the summer  developing loads  inc  chatting to mates wildfowlers working efficient  loads  researching loads to Sami  regs  and continental data         was discussed with off the shelf loads  on the fore shore well within range on wigeon  with my son and I shooting together picked up two out of twelve  down still alive  others not found  frustrated to hell  ( we both cant be wrong)    a good dog who worked hard if shooting lead I can say dead         next visit home loaded steel     eleven for thirteen shots all within range      and 25 yrs on    still reloading  and haven't bought  a lead or steel cartridge to date  and couldn't tell you the cost  of a of a slab of clay busting shells      if you shoot steel i can send you some for the season you can make your own mind up  

2 hours ago, Salmo said:

Far superior ...... range , stopping power , more stone dead kills . Last year when we played about experimenting lead came out on top every time . I’m doing a cull this year in September and I’ll try the same again ( this year the cull will be 4 days ) and I’ll let you know the results but I stand by what I say 

I call BS on all that untill we know the Lead VS steel spacifics.

What range ? What geese? Define more stone dead kills.?

What loads? What Shot size? what gun/ choke?

Lots of variables we need to know, and dead is dead you can not kill something deader than dead.

17 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Steel in What. ?

steel loaded properly will kill better than lead at distance as tighter pattern         however off the shelf cip steel     lacking      reload now to develop a load for the coming season you wont be disappointed plenty of guys on here will  give you data

Edited by Saltings

1 minute ago, Saltings said:

steel loaded properly will kill better than lead at distance as tighter pattern         however off the shelf cip steel     lacking      

Agree but think you must agree can still get it working well enough, load dependent , as you will know. Some factory just falls flat on its face, but Lead loads were not all created equal either. Just a lack of knowledge i think with theese blokes, unless they are on a wind up mission. " Probable" ..

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Agree but think you must agree can still get it working well enough, load dependent , as you will know. Some factory just falls flat on its face, but Lead loads were not all created equal either. Just a lack of knowledge i think with theese blokes, unless they are on a wind up mission. " Probable" ..

steel as lead has a sweet spot  to use an annularly    a carburettor      too lean or  too rich    ****       just right spot on       steel the same   lead the same     however shop bought you cant choose        home load you can develop any load to suit your needs          fast or  slow   heavy or light  your choice        Sami  data is the way forward 

4 minutes ago, Saltings said:

steel as lead has a sweet spot  to use an annularly    a carburettor      too lean or  too rich    ****       just right spot on       steel the same   lead the same     however shop bought you cant choose        home load you can develop any load to suit your needs          fast or  slow   heavy or light  your choice        Sami  data is the way forward 

Agree and in the case of the ten, i apply my own ALOWANCE BASED ON IF I Am using a modern gun or not. Sami have to keep its pressures down for grandads old Lefever nitro. :lol:

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Agree and in the case of the ten, i apply my own ALOWANCE BASED ON IF I Am using a modern gun or not. Sami have to keep its pressures down for grandads old Lefever nitro.

you and me will get on fine    kill it not wound it      don't matter what jacket it wears   I see chips and peas / gravy  around a pink or mallard         we must have a breakfast at the Anglia motel  on the   A17     sometime       a really decent fry-up breakfast          and ill pay  my treat 

9 hours ago, Saltings said:

you and me will get on fine    kill it not wound it      don't matter what jacket it wears   I see chips and peas / gravy  around a pink or mallard         we must have a breakfast at the Anglia motel  on the   A17     sometime       a really decent fry-up breakfast          and ill pay  my treat 

Thats a certainty im up for that.

12 hours ago, lancer425 said:

you seem to preach to others that steel is an alternative to lead but you also say that you will be reloading your steel cartridges,is it because you find that factory produced steel cartridges are not a substitute for factory produced lead?