First Gun Female youth

madge998

Hi , get along to as many dealers as you can and get your hands on different shotguns , it is really a case of finding one to fit and you feel comfortable with , weight,  feel ,length etc ,  my daughter comes clay shooting with me on occasions and I’ve an ata sporter which fits her and she shoots well 

Whatever gun you decide upon and from wherever it may be, see if you can try it,  with the option to return it if it is not suitable. Better still, book a lesson at a shooting ground with a gun shop on site. IF, you intend to just shoot clays, then a semi automatic, preferably gas operated, could be an option. Remember whatever make you choose, if they offer a 'Field' version, it is usually between 1/2 and 1 lbs. lighter. I really would seek the help of a qualified Instructor and be guided by whatever they think you can handle. Also stick with lighter load ammunition until you feel confident to want to move up. Contact BASC and ask when they are doing a 'young shots' day in your area and see if you can attend that. Every little helps.

Gun doesn't matter so much but put ££ into fitting and refitting every six months. Also a decent recoil pad and an adjustable comb. I know lots of women who shoot with guns designed for women and they love them but then if I had spent that much on a new sporter I'd love it too, on principle! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2020 at 18:10, madge998 said:

She had a taster session today and loved it, she was using a 20G with comb raiser fitted.  Will book a few lessons for her as i'm in no rush to buy as yet and yes she will be  having lessons at gun club with gun room, Thanks for replies 

Thats sound thinking,   when you do come to buy 20 would be better as its lighter and she has nowhere near your strength to move it around,  so will tire easily.   One other point,  once she has decided she likes it and wants to keep it have the toe of the stock rounded.  Girls/ladies are a different shape there to us blokes and the toe will dig into her chest and become painfull unless removed and rounded off;

A