Renewal

Alex C

My licence is up for renewal in July. Given that my doctors is only seeing emergency cases at the moment, and are unlikely to have the time to fill out my renewal paperwork for the foreseeable, What do I do ?

I will be ringing the licencing office tomorrow to get their advice, but the question is, do I absolutely have to get a letter from my doctor ? Can I put the paperwork in now, 4 months early, and hope for the best ?

What would you guys do ?

Cheers

12 hours ago, Alex C said:

My licence is up for renewal in July. Given that my doctors is only seeing emergency cases at the moment, and are unlikely to have the time to fill out my renewal paperwork for the foreseeable, What do I do ?

I will be ringing the licencing office tomorrow to get their advice, but the question is, do I absolutely have to get a letter from my doctor ? Can I put the paperwork in now, 4 months early, and hope for the best ?

What would you guys do ?

Cheers

Most police forces won't proceed with applications etc without a Pro Forma from a GP. My renewal forms were sent back stating this, and as my GP refused to have anything to do with it, I had to request my medical records from my GP (took them a month to do) then pay a GP recommended by BASC, to read and sign the Pro Forma. That was sent back to me and is now in the hands of my police force. My FAC/SC expires May 20th.

19 minutes ago, Alex C said:

but the question is, do I absolutely have to get a letter from my doctor ?

You need to ask your Firearms Licencing Dept as there is no national agreement across all forces on this. Some do, some dont and some are in the process of intoducing it. You also need to check with your GP, he may or may not be too busy; but some practises have a policy of not taking on this extra work. If your county force is saying no GPs letter no licence you havent got much choice. I have recently (Sept 19) had to change GPs in order to get the letter required by my county force,

48 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

she never mentioned anything about a doctor's letter. 

Not all Police Forces have implemented this as a mandatory requirement. If it was a requirent of your county force, I would have thought your FEO would have mentioned it.

Kent Police website cleary states the requirement and says "No GPs letter = No Licence.

On 16/03/2020 at 14:27, JJsDad said:

Not all Police Forces have implemented this as a mandatory requirement. If it was a requirent of your county force, I would have thought your FEO would have mentioned it.

Kent Police website cleary states the requirement and says "No GPs letter = No Licence.

I have just received phone call from feo,he gave me my visit date,Northumberland police must not be asking for letter from doctor, as he never mentioned this

So spoke to my GP who said if something needs filling in, tough, they're too busy. Fortunately after speaking to Durham Firearms they just said send in all your forms etc and we will contact your GP if required. I'm hoping that the 4 months I've left before my current one expires will be enough.

Cheers all