Can we still play?

Smokersmith

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Shadowchaser said:

I don't really understand why grounds feel the need to close unless there aren't enough people attending. 

There is no government order for them to close. 

I'd have thought remaining open with sensible precautions would be fine.  

Because it is not essential in any possible definition of the word.  The guidance is to avoid all unnecessary social contact.

9 hours ago, grrclark said:

Because it is not essential in any possible definition of the word.  The guidance is to avoid all unnecessary social contact.

Would these workers be self-employed?

If so, as far as I can tell, the Government has said carry on as we will not support you!

Edited by Newbie to this

57 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Would these workers be self-employed?

If so, as far as I can tell, the Government has said carry on as we will not support you!

Some clay ground staff might be, especially the likes of instructors, but none the less it is not essential and grounds should close.

As an aside I expect to see measures announced to support the self employed this week.  I suspect it is coming later as very difficult to establish how the government can step in.

41 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Will do shooting the world of good for locals to hear guns going bang,  when they are confined to the house or god forbid have a family member dying with the virus. It is untenable to continue with a hobby and put NHS staff and resources at risk.

Agreed

5 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Some clay ground staff might be, especially the likes of instructors, but none the less it is not essential and grounds should close.

As an aside I expect to see measures announced to support the self employed this week.  I suspect it is coming later as very difficult to establish how the government can step in.

And until they do announce the support measures, the self-employed still have bills to pay and mouths to feed.

If I owned a clay business as a self-employed business owner, with self-employed/zero hour contract staff, I would still be open until ordered to shut or had support from the Government, in paying my bills and feeding my family.

9 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

And until they do announce the support measures, the self-employed still have bills to pay and mouths to feed.

If I owned a clay business as a self-employed business owner, with self-employed/zero hour contract staff, I would still be open until ordered to shut or had support from the Government, in paying my bills and feeding my family.

So you would put money before the lives of the people who work for you and their families and anybody stupid enough to go and shoot.

I do agree at this time the self-employed are not being very well supported but we need to stop this virus quickly or many more lives will be lost and over a much longer period of time.

I like going clay shooting but for now will stay at home as we are being told to do and NHS staff are pleading for us to do.

24 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

So you would put money before the lives of the people who work for you and their families and anybody stupid enough to go and shoot.

I do agree at this time the self-employed are not being very well supported but we need to stop this virus quickly or many more lives will be lost and over a much longer period of time.

I like going clay shooting but for now will stay at home as we are being told to do and NHS staff are pleading for us to do.

You make it sound like I'm talking about money grabbing!

I'm not I'm talking about the self-employed needing to survive as well as the employed!

Some of us cannot survive on the support the government are offering the self-employed, so need to still be in work, some of these clay grounds may well fall into this category.

44 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

If you own a clay ground there are support measures open to you.

I get that the self employed have a tough gig right now, i’m self employed too.

However, no matter how we choose to dress it up, clay shooting is not essential or necessary in any way.

I can understand why a self employed shooting instructor or commercial ground might want to stay open, i fully appreciate that it is their livelihood, but any shooter that thinks I’ll just go along to enjoy my hobby as normal needs to have a real serious think about their motivation.

19 minutes ago, grrclark said:

However, no matter how we choose to dress it up, clay shooting is not essential or necessary in any way.

Construction (unless building hospitals etc) is non essential or necessary, but the Govenment haven't shut them down. The site I'm working on (apartment block) is still going and the site managers are saying we will keep going until shut down. Building flats is not essential or necessary.

I understand that to some shooting is a hobby but to others it is their living, possibly their only one and if the Government aren't supporting them, then I don't blame for opening.

I don't blame them for wanting to stay open either, i don't blame anybody for trying to keep on earning as much as they can.

I do however think that anybody who thinks to themselves i'll just go along to the clay ground to have a boom need to reconsider their priorities.

Well I'm on immunosuppression medication and I'm on the at risk group. I didn't play out Sunday and I've just cancelled my spot on a reg shoot Wednesday (That's if they remain open?) 

I'd love to support local business and remain shooting. But the risks are too high for me.

Looks like I'll be fully stripping my guns and giving them a right clean for the time being 👍👍👍👍

Just now, Smokersmith said:

So the CPSA have deemed that all Premier league events are cancelled.

Woefully inadequate response IMHO.

Agreed.  They will be cognisant that what they say will have a big impact on the commercial ground so will be hoping that the ground owners make the decision for them.

The CPSA nw need to say clearly and unambiguously all affiliated or registered shoots are off, including the world championships in June.

This is went we actually need the shooting organisations to represent the shooting, grounds be that commercial or not for profit clubs with ground rents to pay. The CPSA should show some leadership order all grounds closed and seek compensation for the sport.
The commercial grounds one assume will get help for their business and employees but the little non for profit clubs run by volunteers will get no help yet still have insurance, ground rent etc to pay, these clubs could do with a grant from the CPSA to help them survive.

I don't believe that those attending grounds should be open to general criticism. if the ground is empty and social distancing can be maintained then the risk of transfer will be minimal. The owners can adjust their policy depending on numbers and use a pre-book system if they are excessive and the risk is unacceptable. If we talk about only what is necessary then that rules out so many things that make life worthwhile - they may not be necessary in the strict sense but our physical and mental health soon suffer if we are told we cannot do them. The problem is that a ground may be well run or badly run - the CPSA should not be making blacket decisions but providing guidance on how to do it right.

At last … all CPSA registered fixtures are cancelled.  :good:

I shot a sparsely attended skeet on Sunday .. everyone was very sensible in terms of distancing, but it felt 'a bit wrong' and the 1st couple of rounds I found it difficult to concentrate.

Hopefully the grounds can come out the other side of this OK.