Lead ban making think again,

redial

My uncle who passed away and was largely responsible for introducing me to shotguns/ shooting. Inherited a grand from his estate.

I thought I would buy an old English  S/S in his memory. He used to use a local farmers worn out hammer gun. 

With lead only having five years, I don't want to be left with something I can't use.

If there aren’t already there will be over the coming months some cracking SxS available at that sort of money and dealers wanting cash in the bank not on the racks. Just take your time and find something that suits you with decent barrel walls and not too much choke and it will be fine with standard steel when it comes to it

A good gauge of prices will be Holts current sale.

Good luck

Currently 2 1/2” (65mm) chambered English guns are a problem, as far as I know there are no steel cartridges available for them, this may change? As others have said, if I was in the market For an English SBS game gun, I would be looking for a 2 3/4” (70mm) chambers gun.

32 minutes ago, motty said:

Is there a ban?

Most guns are suitable for steel use, in any case.

No.

We have a voluntary moritorium on the use of lead shot which will ultimately and inevitably  mean a legislated ban. Unfortunately, for those affected by this, the instigators of this current action failed to take into account any possible exceptions which could exist in terms of species and location and made it a blanket affair. This in turn means when it comes to the introduction of the legally enforceable replacement there is very little - if any at all - wriggle room available which would allow any sensible exceptions to prevail.

FOR INSTANCE. You could buy my beautiful 1897 Ellis hammergun which has been sleeved with sound barrels, but only 65mm chambers. have it taken out to 70mm and reproof.

Total cost would be about £1150 and you would have a lovely classic Birmingham gut to last the rest of your life,