2nd day on beans

dad

went on the rape saturday too wet again to get to the beans. 2 blokes already there and the rape has taken off in most places but found a spot that was low enough to shoot my mate wasnt bothered about shooting his feet were killing him so we agreed i would shoot and take his dog and he would keep them on the move. I set up 2 rotary and 10 dead birds and they came in from the start but the dog was a nightmare likes to stand outside and wag his tail and do 3 laps of honour every time i shot miss or kill also i picked up wrong glasses that i cant shoot with which i took off and found i cant shoot without after 1 hr with a hoarse voice shouting at dog 20 shots for 5 very fed up i packed up with birds still coming. On the way home i looked at the beans and saw plenty  of birds on it so weather permitting i would give it a go today it rained all day sunday which meant the track would be soaked again but i went anyway my mate with a weak chest was advised to stay in so i went alone and being so wet there was only 1 place to i could get, the same place as before, in the ditch. I drove the car as near as i could dropped gear off and reversed back to entrance about 400yds came back and set  up rotary shells and 5 dead birds put a string banger out up other end about 300yds and walked back to hide thats about a 1000 yds before i started.i started rotary up and got in hide and birds started coming straight away mainly from behind 6 misses to start with i put down to the long walk then i started to connect and brought some really pleasing 50 yarders down  and some really easy close misses by now i noticed the banger had not gone off and birds were dropping in in the distance so i walked out and relit it and put another out in opposite direction another 1000 yds there and back it did the trick,there was a huge amount of birds coming over very high and some would plummet out of the sky level out and abort making some tricky shooting. I never shot particulary well and picked up 35 and a magpie at 60yds for 85 shots,i was a bit dissapointed but i had changed chokes from normal 1/4 and 1/2 to 1/2 and 3/4 to try and make cleaner kills but a good day anyway. I packed all the gear and walked back to the car only to find i had left the keys with the gear another 800yds. A phone call on way home to say 7 fields of drilling by tomorrow night happy days.20200316_160541_compress26.jpg.854dfabdd6d074696399af85d4a69cdc.jpg