Replacement for the Landie.

Walker570

Where it is so obvious the new Defender will not replace the utilitarian old Land Rover and is just another kiddy school runner about, the Czech Republic MW Motors have seen a vacancy for a real work based tool to replace where the old Landy stood.  They have taken the proven base of the Russian UAZ and upgraded the mechanicals , even producing a full electric version.  Called the MWM Spartan.

Back in the early 90s I spent a bit of time in Poland and the guides there used old Russian military UAZ jeeps as the mode of transport and they would go into some scary country.  I shot a large red hind one morning which rolled down a slope into the trees and I had difficulty walking/climbing down there. My guide simply drove over the edge down to the beast, we threw it on the carrier and he drove back up.  I don't believe I could or would have done that with my Land Rover.  No prices mentioned in the advert in Farming Monthly ... for more info  spartan@mwmotors.cz.

A tragedy really that our motor industry have abandoned farmers, foresters etc etc who need a proper off road commercial vehicle every day and night sometimes.

From a quick scan round the website <https://mwmotors.cz/spartan/> it reads that this is going to be an electric version?  with a motor attached directly to the gearbox (as opposed to motors in each wheel/axle)  will be interesting to see some specs on it when it finally launches - although I'm not convinced an electric version will cut it in the current field of options.

Not convinced that body would pass the current regs for pedestrian and crash crumple zones etc. wonder how they intend on bringing it to market.

Id still have one if the range was usable 😀

Edited by KronKron

They have taken a full page advert in the Farming Monthly so they must be confident it would be acceptable.

There is a petrol model as well, so easily converted to LPG which would make it very cheap to run.

If based on the UAZ then if I remember correctly the wheel base was around 100 inches

4 hours ago, Dibble said:

If it's in Farming Montly us it being launched as an agricultural vehicle which have different mot rules etc?

No it is at the back with all the posh Chelsea Tractors and a write up on the new Defender.  BUT it is launched as a proper commercial hard working truck for all sorts of countryside uses including farming and forestry.  The ones I rode in in Poland where bare metal throughout you could have power washed the interior no problem.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No it is at the back with all the posh Chelsea Tractors and a write up on the new Defender.  BUT it is launched as a proper commercial hard working truck for all sorts of countryside uses including farming and forestry.  The ones I rode in in Poland where bare metal throughout you could have power washed the interior no problem.

Just like proper Land Rovers 

On 17/03/2020 at 11:15, KronKron said:

From a quick scan round the website <https://mwmotors.cz/spartan/> it reads that this is going to be an electric version?  with a motor attached directly to the gearbox (as opposed to motors in each wheel/axle)  will be interesting to see some specs on it when it finally launches - although I'm not convinced an electric version will cut it in the current field of options.

Not convinced that body would pass the current regs for pedestrian and crash crumple zones etc. wonder how they intend on bringing it to market.

Id still have one if the range was usable 😀

Gear box in an EV? 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

if i had my time again ...i would buy a short wheelbase toyota landcruiser circa 1980 ish.........6 cylinder petrol

Mate has one after swapping from a freelandeer and reckons its so heavy that there are a lot of places he could go in the freelander that he cant go in the cruiser.  Nothing like a landcruiser for armageddon. 

On 17/03/2020 at 10:56, Walker570 said:

Where it is so obvious the new Defender will not replace the utilitarian old Land Rover and is just another kiddy school runner about, the Czech Republic MW Motors have seen a vacancy for a real work based tool to replace where the old Landy stood.  They have taken the proven base of the Russian UAZ and upgraded the mechanicals , even producing a full electric version.  Called the MWM Spartan.

Back in the early 90s I spent a bit of time in Poland and the guides there used old Russian military UAZ jeeps as the mode of transport and they would go into some scary country.  I shot a large red hind one morning which rolled down a slope into the trees and I had difficulty walking/climbing down there. My guide simply drove over the edge down to the beast, we threw it on the carrier and he drove back up.  I don't believe I could or would have done that with my Land Rover.  No prices mentioned in the advert in Farming Monthly ... for more info  spartan@mwmotors.cz.

A tragedy really that our motor industry have abandoned farmers, foresters etc etc who need a proper off road commercial vehicle every day and night sometimes.

Also worth keeping an eye out for this

https://ineosgrenadier.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DttEx9Yz4VIwsKFEyg2KrSIacpsDrmc_BGbyvdkP4GY5SLWzrdROsEaAjcIEALw_wcB

Dont know much about it other than it is being designed to be what the Land Rover should be with beam axles etc.

21 hours ago, kennett said:

Also worth keeping an eye out for this

https://ineosgrenadier.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjoH0BRD6ARIsAEWO9DttEx9Yz4VIwsKFEyg2KrSIacpsDrmc_BGbyvdkP4GY5SLWzrdROsEaAjcIEALw_wcB

Dont know much about it other than it is being designed to be what the Land Rover should be with beam axles etc.

Should be a capable machine given the Steyr input ,we`ll have to wait and see!

• 1 month later...
On 23/03/2020 at 17:35, scouser said:

What’s happening with the replacement landy from the country’s richest man  anyone heard anything ?.

I keep checking the Projekt Grenadier website but the info is very scant. Not sure why it’s all so secretive. 

On 22/03/2020 at 21:33, ditchman said:

if i had my time again ...i would buy a short wheelbase toyota landcruiser circa 1980 ish.........6 cylinder petrol

...they've reissued it

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-land-cruiser-70-re-released-to-celebrate-30-years-of-iconic-4x4

Edited by Eyefor

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Maurice Ward said:

There is a comprehensive article about the MWM Spartan in the September issue of 4x4 Magazine & it features on the front cover.

Might be worth a read depending on who wrote it.

Many many years ago I used to supply pictures and articles for 4x4 magazine under differant pseudonyms for payment. Editor used to correct my English and chop the articles about to suit his style. Often leaving little of the real meat of the article. Couldn't complain, was getting paid and as a serving soldier technically not allowed to have anything published.

Only had one article published in my own name and that was my last after I'd retired. (Twas about the capabilities of standard Nissans off road)

Anyway, I digressed, if the editor doesn't find the article to his liking- read that as those that pay to advertise and don't like criticism, the article will have unfavourable remarks removed. Only the elite very few get an almost free hand.