XL Decoys - do they work?

33 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How many did you buy?

I got 12 just to see what they are like...

23 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Years ago, shooting inland, I occasionally used half a dozen magnum goose decoys on the Pinks......I recall they worked well, if you positioned them in a bunch, separate from the normal sizes decoys! I imagine this would work for pigeon too?

👍🏻

23 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

I’ve never used them but a mate of mine has some , he uses them mixed in with std shells and bodies , 

I did think that mixing them in with some standard decoys would probably work better and hopefully look a bit more realistic....

21 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Looks like a duck in pigeon drag 🙃 

Sure it will still work, they are basic animals in many respects.  

Tell me about it...

They are the only shells they do apart from the neoprene ones, apparently the XL version are better as they are easier to see from a distance...?

I seem to think on one of Chris Greens Pigeon shooting videos he use a bigger than normal Pigeon decoy to good effect , 

I must admit they are not one of the most realistic pigeon decoys I have come across , I can't see me spending some of my pension on those ones , still if they do the job to your satisfaction then it is money well spent .

When are you going to give them a field trial ?

18 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Looks like a duck in pigeon drag 🙃 

12 minutes ago, Westley78 said:

Tell me about it...

They are the only shells they do apart from the neoprene ones, apparently the XL version are better as they are easier to see from a distance...?

How much bigger could we go?:rolleyes:

A two man Team deploying 20 Mega-Magnum Half Shell Decoys, they couldn't carry any more!:w00t:

21 hours ago, Westley78 said:

Guys,

I have just taken delivery of some XL Decoys from A1 and they are HUGE!

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/product/plastic-xl-pigeon-shell/

Has anyone used them, do they work and are they any better than regular decoys?

Kind regards

2004B1D4-4970-447D-A643-C171E6FEFD04.jpeg

funny colour...looks like they have recycled someones bottom.........are they based on the greater columbus amazon pigeon ?

On 17/03/2020 at 17:35, Westley78 said:

Guys,

I have just taken delivery of some XL Decoys from A1 and they are HUGE!

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/product/plastic-xl-pigeon-shell/

Has anyone used them, do they work and are they any better than regular decoys?

Kind regards

2004B1D4-4970-447D-A643-C171E6FEFD04.jpeg

Either you have got very small hands or those decoys are huge :yes: , it would be interesting if you touched up half of them with some grey undercoat that was nearer the colour to a healthy adult Wood Pigeon and put your pattern out in two halves and see what ones were the biggest draw :hmm:, the more I look at them the more I think someone painted them in China who had never seen our humble woody ,mind you I do like the idea of making the decoys bigger although they would need to be fairly light , better painted , easy to stack and might be a good idea if they were flocked coated. 

17 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I tried wearing one of these when decoying once.

download.jpg

Worked a treat....pigeons came from near, from far. And terrified hawks and kestrels gave the whole farm a wide berth. But missed every shot as the plastic beak interfered something rotten with a decent gun mount.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

Either you have got very small hands or those decoys are huge  , it would be interesting if you touched up half of them with some grey undercoat that was nearer the colour to a healthy adult Wood Pigeon and put your pattern out in two halves and see what ones were the biggest draw , the more I look at them the more I think someone painted them in China who had never seen our humble woody ,mind you I do like the idea of making the decoys bigger although they would need to be fairly light , better painted , easy to stack and might be a good idea if they were flocked coated. 

Like you I like the idea of larger decoys in order for the pattern to be visible from a greater distance however, my concern is that the pigeons will get spooked as they come in. As you say the only want to know this would be to test it in the field.

To be fair they are light and stack well but are around 600mm long which just seems huge!

192201EB-0B68-48A7-93B4-ED5EA3C1B853.jpeg

C06F003B-4AC0-4BF8-94B5-0E4B2144A866.jpeg