Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Westward

Keyless start signal blocker

Recommended Posts

Most garages are far too small, we have just built a garage for a client that is appx 12x8m with 3.5m head height to the mezzanine, automated lighting, internal drainage, heating (for frost protection) etc. It is probably cheaper to have your car stolen....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not many people use a garage for what it was designed for

Indeed. The daft ol...dear old lady who owned our place before we did had one of those sectional garages put up, it's barely big enough to drive a (old) mini inside and open the door.  A modern saloon, hopeless.  My L200 simply won't fit.  Even if it wasn't full of my hoarded ju....valuable stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, sadly many houses now are built with garages that are too small to be of practical use.  I'm an unashamed petrol-head so the garage is even tiled for cleanliness.....

There is no doubt that having a desirable vehicle stored out of sight encourages the crims to move on to easier targets. The red missile has departed - too competent, fun removed.

Garage-floor.jpg

Edited by Cosmicblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys again.

The other thing I didn't point out regarding the video of the vehicle theft, note the first thing they did was walk up to the car and shine a torch through the window.
That was to check for additional devices such as steering wheel locks.
Although quite easy to remove, it takes time, and risks making noise, so chances are in this case if they had seen an additional device they would have moved on.

Its worth considering if you have a high end vehicle with keyless entry.
Anything that slows the process down means that they may well go looking for a softer target.

These sort of scroats are not skilled in removing additional security locks, so most would be stuck against a good steering wheel lock.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

we have just built a garage for a client that is appx 12x8m with 3.5m head height to the mezzanine, automated lighting, internal drainage, heating (for frost protection) etc. It is probably cheaper to have your car stolen....

 

3 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Yeah, sadly many houses now are built with garages that are too small to be of practical use.  I'm an unashamed petrol-head so the garage is even tiled for cleanliness.....

I think we need a separate PW show us your garage thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably won’t be able to get permission to post them as they are for private clients, but I have also done multiple garages for Bugatti Verons, and then a personal / display structural glass garage for a Chiron on a turntable. It is sited in his garden opposite his man cave so he can sit and look at it. My client is an absolute car lover, he is relatively wealthy and a great guy, his only love is cars. He has 7 children, when each of them turn 17 they get a free pick of any car they want. His eldest daughter is lovely but chose a metallic pink Range Rover Sport 🙈 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I probably won’t be able to get permission to post them as they are for private clients,

NO worries, didn't think when you first described at what end of the market you operated at, that you'd be able to share anything.  But, do you have a website with suitably redacted pictures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll have a look at sending the redacted drawings from the planning applications, those drawings are in the public realm anyway. 

Don’t want to send a link to the website as from that, via Companies House and RIBA/ARB, it is pretty much an open invite for anyone with an axe to grind (e.g. sabs) to know everything about me and all my staff.  A planning consultant from Chester that I work with has listed ‘Shooting’ on his personal interests in his company’s website. Slight madness in today’s climate, lots of sabs with lots of time to bury a business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My garage is not huge at 20 feet by 16 feet wide. (Note, Englishman, refuse to use metres!)    
But it was built specifically to be high enough to clear a Land Rover with roof rack if necessary as I have always kept a Defender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, London Best said:

(Note, Englishman, refuse to use metres!)  

Not if they want to remain in employment in the STEM & construction professions they don't. 😁

Feet/Metres/cubits/grains/parsecs, it's all a man-made means of measuring our physical world.

Incidentally, you do know the inch is defined as being exactly 25.4 mm, that's no accident.

50 minutes ago, London Best said:

My garage is not huge at 20 feet by 16 feet wide.

But you missed out how tall the garage door has to be to clear your 'fender?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy 01 said:

Hi guys again.

The other thing I didn't point out regarding the video of the vehicle theft, note the first thing they did was walk up to the car and shine a torch through the window.
That was to check for additional devices such as steering wheel locks.
Although quite easy to remove, it takes time, and risks making noise, so chances are in this case if they had seen an additional device they would have moved on.

Its worth considering if you have a high end vehicle with keyless entry.
Anything that slows the process down means that they may well go looking for a softer target.

These sort of scroats are not skilled in removing additional security locks, so most would be stuck against a good steering wheel lock.

Andy

A very valid point, make the vehicle the one they do not choose to steal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Not if they want to remain in employment in the STEM & construction professions they don't. 😁

Feet/Metres/cubits/grains/parsecs, it's all a man-made means of measuring our physical world.

Incidentally, you do know the inch is defined as being exactly 25.4 mm, that's no accident.

But you missed out how tall the garage door has to be to clear your 'fender?

I worked as a toolmaker in metric and imperial from 1965 until 2019, so am well used to metric sizes and converting in my head to tenths of a thou’. Doesn’t stop me being English! Do you work out how many litres per 100 kilometres your car uses?        
I wish the BBC would stop trying to tell us that one place is so many kilometres from another place. We don’t have kilometres in this country. (Rant over!)

The garage was built in 1985, but from memory it has 7 feet minimum clearance everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A remember years ago on a ford course when keyless first came out and remember saying to the trainer won’t be long before they can clone the signal or copy it and steal that car in minutes he said a was being Ridiculous. Really didn’t take them long 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...