Good old harry the Honda

vmaxphil

Monday afternoon I decided to top the lawn at the back as it was getting to long, too wet really but I took a couple of inches off, what really impressed me was harry the mower had been left in the shed since October, started first pull old fuel and no maintenance, got to take my hat off to Honda it's 15 years old and the only thing I've done is a new deck and oil 

Like Kubota, Honda are top of the pack machines, my Kubota 7001 tractor(circa1977) had sat all winter unused and with normal heat started on the third turn of the engine, similarly my Kubota ride on, batteries where a bit low but they still started.   I had a Honda ATV and rue the day I sold it.

My Honda is the same, although I drain the carb once before starting her up each year - we have a running joke with our neighbours that the Honda will start first time every year and she has yet to let me down in 10+ years, meanwhile our neighbour has gone through at least 5 petrol mowers before buying a battery one year before last - battery packed up last spring!!!

No doubt about it - those Honda engines seem to know the secret to eternal youth. I sold my sit-on when we down sixed a few years back but it survived a chronic lack of attention for 13 years before that and the only thing I ever had to do was to change the plugs. Brilliant engines.

True story, when my dad died, there was a old honda water pump a small one a gx100 or 140 i can not remember without looking.

Not been run for years. In January just gone,  it was peeing it down, i was cabined up and bored so i started clearing up under the bench, came across that  pump wrapped up in a duvet cover. :lol:

after i had cleaned up i got a bit of two stroke mix out of a jerry can i have for the trials bikes. poured a bit in/  choke / turned it over and i could feel it wanting to fire through the cord, pulled it through compression it bursts to life. running like a champ. Unbelievable must have been at least 5  years since that ran. Hondas are good engines always have been. 

Had a Honda S800 sports car back in the sixties and what an engine that had in it. It ate MG Midgets for breakfast.  An old guy....local vet pulled out of a side turning and I T Boned his Singer Gazelle and although a friend who was a top class body man rebuilt it for me I was never happy with it after that but the engine was incredible, revved happily at 6000 plus and during a cold spell I pulled a police Austin 1100 up a hill in the Cotswolds to a 999 alarm call after it got stuck in a snow drift. Alarming thing initially , there was no oil pressure, all roller bearings.  Look at there 'bikes superb engines all round.  I saw one of those little S800s up for sale last year and went for about 50 grand.

Edited by Walker570

Father in law has had a honda mower for decades, still going hassle free. He will only have honda cars now as well, can't blame him as they are fantastically reliable. I'm waiting for my cheapo 100 quid mountfield mower to die. It still starts first pull most times despite being totally neglected and in desperate need of gaskets on the carb.  

15 hours ago, Jega said:

All Honda's in our house , i have a .C.R.V. real work horse  ,good lady has a  Jazz, and my weekend toy Fireblade.

I can honestly say we have never had a moments bother with any of them

My wife has a 2004 bought from new Honda S2000Gt in Moonstone grey and not a single thing has gone wrong in 16 years. It's regularly maintained with full Honda service history and, no, it's not for sale.

Even now it's a real head turner and when I look at the alternatives that we were considering at the time Audi TT, Merc SLK and BMW Z3 it reconfirms we made the right decision. Wonderful car that eats Porkie  Boxsters for breakfast with even the wife turning the radio off to listen to the normally aspirated engine that will spin up to 9K. 

Great engineering.

Edited by Eyefor

We bought our daughter a Civic when she first went to Canada to live. She sold it on with 200,000 on the clock and she still sees it around town five years later.

Service manager there at Honda says they have several cars with half a million miles on the clock.

They do however change the oil every 5,000 miles. No problem as their oil "same can"  is almost half the price of ours.

She now has a Subaru which drinks oil and needed new rear wheel bearings after a couple of years.