Black powder revolvers, how are they licensed ?

BADGER.BRAD

Black powder revolvers, how are they licensed ? I been watching various vids on Youtube about Black powder revolvers, Most of these vids are of course from the good old USA but I was looking through a UK gun listing the other day and noticed a number of revolvers which would not match the description of a long barreled pistol for UK use so what are people doing with these ?

Thanks all

All repros are Sec 1  if a antique  and not too USE then it can be kept without a licence but  if you want to use it then it becomes Sec1 and can only be used  on a approved range  .If a antique is used has sec 1 it is best to enter it has a antique so it can be returned to its antique status  in the future

Feltwad 

Rather than just blackpowder pistols, the same rules apply to "muzzle loading" pistols. These are a whole new ball game. They are modern revolvers, shooting ordinary nitro smokeless powder and shoot a regular .38/.357 type lead bullet, in fact, once loaded you wouldn't know you weren't shooting a regular .38 revolver.

The only difference is the cylinder is removed and the bullets loaded from the front of the cylinder, these are ignited with a shotgun primer. They are quite quick to load, accurate, cheap to run and require no more cleaning that any usual pistol.

Although there are others these seem to be well regarded:

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/products/

Apart from a couple of BP pistols I also have an unusual ML nitro competition 5 shot pistol:

bZnILQJl.jpg

On 20/03/2020 at 12:14, 1066 said:

Rather than just blackpowder pistols, the same rules apply to "muzzle loading" pistols. These are a whole new ball game. They are modern revolvers, shooting ordinary nitro smokeless powder and shoot a regular .38/.357 type lead bullet, in fact, once loaded you wouldn't know you weren't shooting a regular .38 revolver.

The only difference is the cylinder is removed and the bullets loaded from the front of the cylinder, these are ignited with a shotgun primer. They are quite quick to load, accurate, cheap to run and require no more cleaning that any usual pistol.

Although there are others these seem to be well regarded:

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/products/

Apart from a couple of BP pistols I also have an unusual ML nitro competition 5 shot pistol:

bZnILQJl.jpg

this is the way to go .

as an ex pistol shooter due to the ban keep toying with the idea of  getting back  into it again.

Until last year i had one-a Uberti 44 calibre revolver (Remington copy). Fun to use,but a pain in the bottom to clean. Range use only and a S1 firearm.

I used genuine black powder rather than Pyrodex. I got rid of it last year and bought an Alpha 38/357 long barrel revolver which actually handles quite nice.

19 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Genuine blackpowder shoots better, smells better (doesn't stink like Pyrodex), is safer to the gun and last of all cleans easier. It's just a shame that here in the UK the licence for it is a pain in the bottom.

TBH my experience the Pyrodex pellets I use dont smell to bad , leave less residue, clean easier ect.
Whether or not they 'shoot' better is anyones guess, but besides being quite expensive, are a damn sight easier to use.