The Repair Shop

AVB

I got hooked in this a while ago and pleased it has made it to prime time tv. It’s one of those ‘feel good’ programmes and and I am amazed at the repairs these guys do and the stories behind the articles being repaired.  

My favourites are Steve, the watch repairer, and Kirsten, the ceramics repairer. I actually have the hots for her for some reason! 

35 minutes ago, AVB said:

35 minutes ago, AVB said:

Kirsten, the ceramics repairer. I actually have the hots for her for some reason! 

I reckon the host Jay has too? :D

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, are these new, all i see are repeats, 

I believe it’s a new series?

Edited by panoma1

I watched one last night where a fella had his fathers leather workbelt repaired and refurbished. Having to work and repair leather myself, I know how tricky this can be. It was worth seeing the end result and the fellas emotion at the finished product. It was very touching. Real skills being put under the spotlight are a joy to see.

Meh, as we so many of these programs the format is so dumbed down for the average viewer. No in-depth restorations or tips, processes, reasons. It arrives knackered, you have a couple of cut-aways of the 'doing things' variety and then it reappears completely fixed later in the program.

11 minutes ago, mick miller said:

Meh, as we so many of these programs the format is so dumbed down for the average viewer. No in-depth restorations or tips, processes, reasons. It arrives knackered, you have a couple of cut-aways of the 'doing things' variety and then it reappears completely fixed later in the program.

Watching 2 hours of cleaning, sanding and laborious painting ain't exactly riveting telly though

8 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Watching 2 hours of cleaning, sanding and laborious painting ain't exactly riveting telly though

Depends what level of nerdery you're on. For me, pure heaven. Even a modicum of depth would be better than this format of 'here it is, it's ******, here it is having a little polish, here it is fixed'. It can be made interesting, but it's much harder to do.

Edited by mick miller

some gifted people re the few programs I've  watched   the gifted  woman who does the leather restorations the guy that rebuilds clocks / mechanism gifted         I am a cabinet maker so not always impressed with skills given I  served a 5 year apprenticeship  and went on to studied listed building design and structural property's re strength  inc furniture of the time and expenditure of different households of that time to understand wealth to lifestyle   choices / affluent    and train others in the skills needed to restores renovated listed buildings inc restore original interior fitments using tooling from the period inc making tooling to suit the period by forging     listed buildings  are just that and need to be preserved   and taught my son to use an adds  / drawknife        strike a beam   and fit     Inc       scorch       hew     distress         so looks like old like  200 yrs  + old      its an art  by feel and touch  hands on beats computer on  every dat 

Edited by Saltings

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

some gifted people re the few programs I've  watched   the gifted  woman who does the leather restorations the guy that rebuilds clocks / mechanism gifted         I am a cabinet maker so not always impressed with skills given I  served a 5 year apprenticeship  and went on to studied listed building design and structural property's re strength  inc furniture of the time and expenditure of different households of that time to understand wealth to lifestyle   choices / affluent    and train others in the skills needed to restores renovated listed buildings inc restore original interior fitments using tooling from the period inc making tooling to suit the period by forging     listed buildings  are just that and need to be preserved   and taught my son to use an adds  / drawknife        strike a beam   and fit     Inc       scorch       hew     distress         so looks like old like  200 yrs  + old      its an art  by feel and touch  hands on beats computer on  every dat 

the two you mentioned Steve who repairs clocks and the talented leather lady are brother & sister now that is a family to be part of 😁