.177 BBS FALL OUT OF MY BARREL ?

BADGER.BRAD

O.k first thing I'll admit is the gun a SMK S2 ( super naff air pistol) is not designed for BB's but as I only spent I think 10 or 20 quid on it a few years back I decided whilst a mate was round with his bb firing gun I would put a couple through it, this never happened as as soon as I put them in they fell out the other end ! I checked the size on the bottle ( umerex) they were listed as .177 but are clearly not the same as a .177 pellet why is this ? The bb can be rattled around in the barrel.

Your mates pistol has a smooth bore barrel and takes 4.5 mm bbs (which will probably actually  measure around 4.45 mm ) 

Your pellet gun has a rifled barrel of 4.5 mm somewhere between the lands and grooves .

A pellet usually has a head size of 4.48 - 4.53 mm and a skirt of around 4.58 mm to 4.65 mm to stop it falling down the barrel and make a good air seal in the barrel .

That makes total sense Ultrstu So the softness of the lead allows it mold to the barrel as it fires or is pushed in. The gun really is naff I tried shooting an Ali  beer can at point blank range and all it did was put a small dent in even his BB gun had more power and actually went through. That said I think it really is a cheap gun and this one had clearly suffered some abuse in the past.Next experiments will be to see if I can get a 12g shell in it.

O.k I tried to hammer the shot shell in and this happened ! The hammer still hasn't come down there is a big hole in my roof and I seem to be missing some fingers all though I've never been good at counting ! please advise !

I'm 51 by the way

shot.jpg

Edited by BADGER.BRAD

Good news the hammers come down, the bad news is it's embed in next doors Jaguars wind screen and there is a helicopter with police written on it upside down on the grass outside with a hammer shape hole in it  ( just remember it's got nothing to do with me ! I wasn't even in)

Edited by BADGER.BRAD

It reminds me in my younger days when someone hit the end of a 303  with a centre punch, with it was clamped in a tube in a bench vice. You wouldn’t believe how quickly we all hit the floor as the slug ricocheted off the Harrison lathes and around the metal work shop eventually embedding itself in the forge having gone through the side if said forge. Quick lesson learnt!