YES OR NO Phasing out Lead

lancer425

57 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

its not about BASC banning it.

1, There is no ban therefore I do not have to do anything if i choose not too. 

2, 9 organisation wrote a statement stating that now is the time for change and that alternatives are available not BASC.

Why would I want to continue to do things that may have a negative impact on me, my children and the wildlife when there is an effective alternative that poses none of these risks? 

in truth the majority of shooters I have spoken to regarding this agree its the right thing to do.  Yes there are a handful that will argue that lead is not toxic, steel is no good and we should not change anything.. to those I say good luck, you do not have to change ... yet... but in time you will.. and you will be behind the curve.. 

I on the other hand will be going about my shooting as I always have, putting food on the table and protecting crops and live stock.. 

you know what they say .. if you don't like it... stop ...

so if no one is calling for a ban why look for alternatives to lead??

are you going to use lead for the next five years?

Edited by andrewluke

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

its not about BASC banning it.

1, There is no ban therefore I do not have to do anything if i choose not too. 

2, 9 organisation wrote a statement stating that now is the time for change and that alternatives are available not BASC.

Why would I want to continue to do things that may have a negative impact on me, my children and the wildlife when there is an effective alternative that poses none of these risks? 

in truth the majority of shooters I have spoken to regarding this agree its the right thing to do.  Yes there are a handful that will argue that lead is not toxic, steel is no good and we should not change anything.. to those I say good luck, you do not have to change ... yet... but in time you will.. and you will be behind the curve.. 

I on the other hand will be going about my shooting as I always have, putting food on the table and protecting crops and live stock.. 

you know what they say .. if you don't like it... stop ...

are you saying it’s ok for a shooter to call for a ban voluntary or not  that affects another’s shooters sport because if that’s the case i have a ban in mind 

4 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

OK 🤷‍♂️

So was it both of us not interested in "the facts" 

No one can predict the future, but its foolish not to take action based on unfolding events , to try to prevent a problem if we can.

•  
  •  

3 hours ago, BrowningB7 said:

Until the ECHA produce their report we don't know anything coming our way. Considering on their website they have already suggested a date of late 2022 for a restriction on lead use before any conclusions have actually been drawn, leads me to wonder if an unbiased and fair examination going into this process could be called into question (remains to be seen). When the report is produced we can then look and see how shooting contributes to the concerns of lead use, discrediting any evidence that includes fishing weights into figures, statistics etc. 

As it is calling on member states to contribute to the study, our representatives should be calling for a fair scientific test and contribute any evidence they may have. If we are not part of this process anymore due to Brexit, the final report will provide nothing more then valuable toilet paper to us. As a nation with some of the highest shooting etiquette and self-regulation (e.g. Restricted shooting when weather is putting stress on wildfowl and game) we should be able to look into the issue ourselves and conclude our own evidence. 

It is prudent to be in front of any findings that may be drawn from the evidence. Much of the content of evidence that is likely to be concluded, the shooting orgs will be in a good place to Gauge most expected findings. After all they are very well versed on lead shot and this is exactly why they defended it so well in the past.

There is always the chance of some revolutionary new evidence but i think realistically its unlikely. But in any case we have the voluntary transition period suggestion, which at least gives us a practical option, and effectively helps get us time.

48 minutes ago, clangerman said:

are you saying it’s ok for a shooter to call for a ban voluntary or not  that affects another’s shooters sport because if that’s the case i have a ban in mind 

How on earth did you draw that conclusion , based on the quoted post.?

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

It is prudent to be in front of any findings that may be drawn from the evidence. Much of the content of evidence that is likely to be concluded, the shooting orgs will be in a good place to Gauge most expected findings. After all they are very well versed on lead shot and this is exactly why they defended it so well in the past.

There is always the chance of some revolutionary new evidence but i think realistically its unlikely. But in any case we have the voluntary transition period suggestion, which at least gives us a practical option, and effectively helps get us time.

so if next week an anti lead shot group said they wanted lead banned asap then how could BASC defend it and say we want lead for another 5 years?, BASC has agreed with everything the anti lead  groups have said ie toxic to humans,poisoning wildlife etc,?

2 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

so if next week an anti lead shot group said they wanted lead banned asap then how could BASC defend it and say we want lead for another 5 years?, BASC has agreed with everything the anti lead  groups have said ie toxic to humans,poisoning wildlife etc,?

You really are grasping at straws now in your attempt to prove......what exactly? How do you think an anti lead group is going to ban lead....please, talk us through the process.

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

You really are grasping at straws now in your attempt to prove......what exactly? How do you think an anti lead group is going to ban lead....please, talk us through the process.

so what's the problem with Packham and his buddies shooting their mouths off about shooting??

This is no longer going anywhere except around in circles with the occasional bit of bad humour thrown in. We can probably afford to wait until until there is a definitive update as to what precisely may or may not happen before commenting further. Consequently, this thread is now locked.