Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SainIT

Opening chokes on a Browning B25

Recommended Posts

First some history. I have shot B25's for 42 years, from age 5 until I left South Africa at 47, 13 years ago. I hunted and shot FITASC Sporting. Started shooting FITASC here in Italy 3 years ago with a Browning 525 Sporting, 30" M/C 2017 model. It simply does not move or point like my B25's. It has been restocked, balanced and fitted by an Italian fitter. But it stays a fencepost and my scores reflect that. There are often secondhand B25's available here at low prices, 350 to 500 euro for an A or B, 1300 for a nice C class. But they are all choked full and 3/4 or ar best full and half. Can I have full reamed to 5/8? And 3/4 to 3/8? The barrels seem so thin? Is it doable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF the B25 has a 30" barrel,  it usually started out life as a Trap gun and therefore was tightly bored. I have seen quite a lot of those guns opened out for either game or sporting clays. I would only allow a competent Gunsmith to do the job, but yes it can be safely opened out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trap gun = lower demand

Added to the fact the B25 is going out of fashion then you should be able to get a beautiful piece of craftsmanship for great value ... enjoy the search!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B25 chokes can be adjusted BUT they need to be done by someone who knows what they are dealing with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SainIT said:

First some history. I have shot B25's for 42 years, from age 5 until I left South Africa at 47, 13 years ago. I hunted and shot FITASC Sporting. Started shooting FITASC here in Italy 3 years ago with a Browning 525 Sporting, 30" M/C 2017 model. It simply does not move or point like my B25's. It has been restocked, balanced and fitted by an Italian fitter. But it stays a fencepost and my scores reflect that. There are often secondhand B25's available here at low prices, 350 to 500 euro for an A or B, 1300 for a nice C class. But they are all choked full and 3/4 or ar best full and half. Can I have full reamed to 5/8? And 3/4 to 3/8? The barrels seem so thin? Is it doable?

Cnt see why not if the barrels are in good condition. Can let them out or have multichokes put in. A family member regularly sends B25's to Teagues for both options. Dont know if you have an equivalent company there in Italy, must be someone in the Gardone Valley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks B7. Teague let out my D3 slightly from 3/4 and 1/2 to 5/8 and 3/8 in the 90's and any new gun will go to them. I am in the UK quite often and as soon as the travel block is lifted I hope to come back. I already have my eye on a 30" C3 but can't go and see it because of our quarantine measures (luckily nobody else can either!). I prefer fixed chokes as it removes at least one of the variables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SainIT said:

Thanks B7. Teague let out my D3 slightly from 3/4 and 1/2 to 5/8 and 3/8 in the 90's and any new gun will go to them. I am in the UK quite often and as soon as the travel block is lifted I hope to come back. I already have my eye on a 30" C3 but can't go and see it because of our quarantine measures (luckily nobody else can either!). I prefer fixed chokes as it removes at least one of the variables.

Agree with the fixed choke 👍 find a cartridge you like and then any misses are down to you and you only. Out of interest what's a 30" C3 making in Italy in the last 12 months? Do you see many D1's around? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D's are scarce. Only remember one since i started thinking about this in November. It was listed at €4500 if I remember right. Can't remember the number but I THINK it was a D3 but with a straight stock without pistolgrip. This C3 is listed at €2700. A new possibility has however now opened up and I am in a serious quandary. It is, if not downright illegal, at the very least not quite cricket. I left my D3 to my son in South Africa when I emigrated here. When I spoke to him this morning he told me it is still in the safe, he never sold it when he bought his Krieghoff (blody snob!). He suggested I buy a cheapie Browning, bring it to SA and we just transfer the numbers from one to the other. It won't be a problem when I bring it into Italy, but it may be a problem when I bring it to the UK for competitions. This needs some serious thinking! I live clean here, don't fiddle taxes, model citizen and I would prefer to stay that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SainIT said:

D's are scarce. Only remember one since i started thinking about this in November. It was listed at €4500 if I remember right. Can't remember the number but I THINK it was a D3 but with a straight stock without pistolgrip. This C3 is listed at €2700. A new possibility has however now opened up and I am in a serious quandary. It is, if not downright illegal, at the very least not quite cricket. I left my D3 to my son in South Africa when I emigrated here. When I spoke to him this morning he told me it is still in the safe, he never sold it when he bought his Krieghoff (blody snob!). He suggested I buy a cheapie Browning, bring it to SA and we just transfer the numbers from one to the other. It won't be a problem when I bring it into Italy, but it may be a problem when I bring it to the UK for competitions. This needs some serious thinking! I live clean here, don't fiddle taxes, model citizen and I would prefer to stay that way.

Can you not just have the D3 signed over to you and have it sent to an rfd in Italy?

For the hassle you describe it would probably be best to find another, leaving the D3 available for your son for when he realises which is the better gun 😂, and you on the right side of the law. 

Plenty of C grades, D5's and others floating about in the UK if your over here often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...