Stupid Joker

clay shooter

this evening whilst checking over the peas we set i happen to have seen a yellow pigeon and a half bright green one they had been obviously dyed by a joker....no i do not drink..wear spectacles not colour blind...they had been dyed i was also with my friend and fellow shot Stephen who was amased as i was..wish we had the guns with us but i picked him up from the railway station what  a sight though they looked rather glorious if we shoot them or any others on saturday we will post them..must be a joker having a laugh ???  ive heard of painted rabbits but woodies.? 

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

Wasn't Clay Shooter the one that was convinced (by an acedemic !) that pigeons fear the colour blue ?

I'm inclined to agree with Jim Neal's post above.

OB

Chris, the funniest part of all was that Clay Shooter initially posted that in last years thread!

I lived in Spain for some time, the people who keep homing pigeons down there often do bright coloured paint jobs on their birds, I think they used to have competitions for the best decorated birds, but they did look a sight waddling around in such strange coloured coats, maybe a spaniard has moved to the UK to paint our pigeons as well !!!!!

11 hours ago, clay shooter said:

this evening whilst checking over the peas we set i happen to have seen a yellow pigeon and a half bright green one they had been obviously dyed by a joker....no i do not drink..wear spectacles not colour blind...they had been dyed i was also with my friend and fellow shot Stephen who was amased as i was..wish we had the guns with us but i picked him up from the railway station what  a sight though they looked rather glorious if we shoot them or any others on saturday we will post them..must be a joker having a laugh ???  ive heard of painted rabbits but woodies.? 

Flamingos get their plumage colour from the food they eat, perhaps your pigeons have been feeding on maize and the other one green peas.:whistling:

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Wasn't Clay Shooter the one that was convinced (by an acedemic !) that pigeons fear the colour blue ?

I'm inclined to agree with Jim Neal's post above.

OB

In his defence, we are told that birds rely on ultra-violet more than we do and blue is more visible under UV, as is white, hence the importance of neck rings and wing bars. (Remember looking at girl's underwear under UV at discos in the 70's??)

Not licked frogs not an early April fool either we saw them. But  we did not see them birds

today as we shot on the drilled  peas and some old wheat stubble left for partridges.

I dont know any spanish either but looked on net this evening to find out and yes they do

dye birds in spain for festivals and  bird shows. And for averies in gardens.That raises the

questions...

could they be 2 feral birds that flew from spain ....??? Or indeed a spaniard   living in the area

who has dyed them for fun.??????. Flying from spain is too far is it..????. Anyone know how

far a pigeon can fly from home ??? My bet is its a joker acting about for a laugh..but the poor 

birds would be at much risk wouldnt  they or would a hawk avoid them as unusual prey?

7 hours ago, clay shooter said:

Not licked frogs not an early April fool either we saw them. But  we did not see them birds

today as we shot on the drilled  peas and some old wheat stubble left for partridges.

I dont know any spanish either but looked on net this evening to find out and yes they do

dye birds in spain for festivals and  bird shows. And for averies in gardens.That raises the

questions...

could they be 2 feral birds that flew from spain ....??? Or indeed a spaniard   living in the area

who has dyed them for fun.??????. Flying from spain is too far is it..????. Anyone know how

far a pigeon can fly from home ??? My bet is its a joker acting about for a laugh..but the poor 

birds would be at much risk wouldnt  they or would a hawk avoid them as unusual prey?

You don't half talk some codswallop.

11 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

:good:

codswallop. Well sir. I. Er ...yes i have sea fished for cod. And walloped a few on their  heads But what i say is true if we see them again. A photo  will be shown..then you can comment .... We did not think of a photo ....By the way.. Have you the answer to how far a pigeon can fly ...or is willing to go..it is a genuine question that...or do you just think that they live local to the crops you shoot for the local farmer/landowner... Etc..

21 hours ago, clay shooter said:

questions...

A few years ago someone near me was taken to court because he had  dyed his pigeons in bright colours, not Spanish either.

4 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

A few years ago someone near me was taken to court because he had  dyed his pigeons in bright colours, not Spanish either.

Come on, I'm itching for the punchline!!!!!!!

What were the charges? Reckless adornment of an avian? Columbaphilia?

glad to know that this does sadly exist cruel i think the woodie would be an outcast amongst its flock and would not find a mate..would it..??? And what if it becomes rampant that jokers dye them 

would they breed if so the young would not be dyed..they would be normal colour..yes?

Thank you blackpowder   see all they do exist about the countryside.

Edited by clay shooter