Shooting specs

Scully

I’ve never owned a pair of shooting specs for clays, but thought it was about time I got some. 
I quite like the effect given by the orange Paslode specs , which come with the nail gun, and in fact have a pair but they’re a little scratched nowadays. 
A mate loaned me a pair of really expensive ones, but in all honesty I couldn’t see the difference between those and a pair of Browning or Bolle I tried at Coniston for around 20 quid. Admittedly the frames weren’t as good but the view through the lenses appeared the same. 
Do I need multi coloured lenses? I’m not a serious competitor nowadays and I’ve never been keen on buying something expensive just for the name, when something cheaper will do. 
What do those in the know reckon? 

I picked up two cheap pairs from BnQ when we first started, clear and yellow. I do like the yellows on a dull day. I have seen some fancy Beretta ones and often keep an eye out for a second hand pair, don't feel like I shoot anywhere near enough to warrant paying out big money on some.

The missus did look at prescription glasses for shooting but is also looking at having her eyes lasered. 

I'd imagine safety wise the paslode ones are quite good. 

26 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, do you mean optician specs or general shooting glasses Scully, or those shooting safety types, i have some good fishing glasses yellow and grey, for bright and dull days, i also had some proper shooting specs made with a yellow tint, not cheap but very good,

It’s the safety ones I had in mind. I’ve been told I should get red and orange, but I can’t be bothered with changing things around to suit conditions or different coloured clays. I do like the yellow tinted ones as I said; they seem to give an overall good picture. Cheers

Strange  you should post this now. Just been looking for mine to go for a shoot and they are missing!

Must have left them in the club house. Damn.

They were the cheapo one with orange lenses which seemed to do the trick. They do have some for sale at the club for nearly £1000.

I dont shoot well enough or regularly enough to pay big money for my glasses (with the exception of my sunglasses that I have used for years) so here is our family set.

Both my girls use Bolle safety glasses in clear for average and below light (nice and cheap, great field of view and fairly robust)

I use Revision Sawfly (3 colour kit), can be found fairly cheap and good quality (ESS also do a similar ballistic set), I tend to use the amber lens as it helps with contrast.  Great field of view and no visible distortion at the edges of the lens.

My exception is my glasses for bright days, I use Oakley Radar Ranges, these are my everyday sunglasses but are ballistic rated, with a purple base colour.  I invested in decent sunglasses because I use them for other hobbies and sports, as well as having used them in some really rough environments over 20 years I know as a brand their higher end frames and lenses are fantastically reliable and optically superb.

My eldest also uses Oakleys (Half Jackets), for the same reasons I do :)

I have had a 3 lens set of Pillas for about 8 years. 2 of the lenses have still never been out of their plastic covers. 

Go medium orange and stick to it. I think it doesn't make a lot of difference unless you are in the top 10% of shooters. 

I would say get a decent set though. You only get one set of eyes! 

The Evolution ones are the best I've found for the money recently. I noticed that I was missing some really high clays with the Top Guns, possibly due to the top of the frame blocking my sight line. The Evos are frameless and I was hitting those same clays a week later. Could have just been psychological... :D

I have swapped lenses once or twice, but tend to stick to yellow/amber. The purple ones can really make a difference on bright, overcast days though

• 2 weeks later...