Spoonbill

twenty

9 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

That's interesting, do they breed at Llanelli ?,..........In 2017 a spoonbill pair produced chicks at a RSPB reserve near Leeds, others have bred in East Anglia.

All the best,

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

What do they taste like?

Just a joke fellas! 😉

no idea what they taste like but the beak is handy,you should see my cutlery drawer:good:,also handy for BBQs(flippin burgers),

Image result for cutlery drawer spoonbill

don't worry boys,it was shot with steel:whistling:

Edited by andrewluke

Getting back to ops post :yes:, ... Spoonbills were never that common around here but most years you would always see the odd one , when we were allowed to shoot waders I would often be sitting in my punt at low tide in one of the drains and the Spoonbills would be dabberling away on the mud flats unaware you are only 20 / 30 yards away , as the sun was going down they would look a shade of Pink with the reflection from the Sun onto the wet mud .

In the late victorian times they were well sought after by the collectors and had a good price on there heads , if one was seen on the estuary at any time of the year it was normally doomed , the warden couldn't be everywhere at once and even if the gunner was caught and got fined ten shillings he would be well in pocket if he got a pound or more for the bird he had just shot , no food banks or hand outs in those days and ten shillings would have kept a family going for several days , and not forgetting the gunners pint of beer and a ounce of baccy .:lol:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Getting back to ops post :yes:, ... Spoonbills were never that common around here but most years you would always see the odd one , when we were allowed to shoot waders I would often be sitting in my punt at low tide in one of the drains and the Spoonbills would be dabberling away on the mud flats unaware you are only 20 / 30 yards away , as the sun was going down they would look a shade of Pink with the reflection from the Sun onto the wet mud .

In the late victorian times they were well sought after by the collectors and had a good price on there heads , if one was seen on the estuary at any time of the year it was normally doomed , the warden couldn't be everywhere at once and even if the gunner was caught and got fined ten shillings he would be well in pocket if he got a pound or more for the bird he had just shot , no food banks or hand outs in those days and ten shillings would have kept a family going for several days , and not forgetting the gunners pint of beer and a ounce of baccy .:lol:

Apparently they were once a common sight in the UK, with breeding colonies a regular sight up until the late 18th century.