Pre-emergence spray

kitchrat

I have a farm perm that is going to put in 1000 acres of beans and peas! He started on the beans yesterday, with half the farm machinery in Essex going full blast. Today, just as the pigeons are starting to find it, he and his gang are spraying that nasty yellow pre-emergence spray for black grass. I have in the past seen large flocks of pigeons disappear, never to return, from fields they were flooding onto, just as this spray goes on.

Any experience anyone?

The yellow spray is pendimethalin. 

Not sure why you call it nasty as applied at the correct rate it would be entirely safe according to all research and tests done with it. No doubt there is an increased risk if regularly exposed to significant amounts for a significant time (ie applying it day in day out for years) but pigeon shooters can consider themselves safe.

No experience of it keeping pigeons off and no reason to think it would. If it did do that farmers would use it a lot more.

18 hours ago, 39TDS said:

The yellow spray is pendimethalin. 

Not sure why you call it nasty as applied at the correct rate it would be entirely safe according to all research and tests done with it. No doubt there is an increased risk if regularly exposed to significant amounts for a significant time (ie applying it day in day out for years) but pigeon shooters can consider themselves safe.

No experience of it keeping pigeons off and no reason to think it would. If it did do that farmers would use it a lot more.

I said nasty because last year a farmer suspended my permission for a few days because his contractor was going to be using it and "nasty" was his phrase. I know nothing! The pigeons (which were all over the fields) never came back either....