Gun cabinet

Fozzysti

There's no such thing as police approved. There is a British Standard for gun cabinets which I believe is BS7668/92, but it's not even compulsory to have a cabinet at all, it just makes life easier to have what the police expect you to have.

I've never been asked to prove my cabs meet any standards, the officer usually looks at it, gives it a couple of yanks to check it's fixed and that's it, job jobbed.

My own two cabinets dating back to the 1980s are bespoke made (from 3mm steel) and so also don't have any sort of "Police Approved" sticker. Note what I say below about the "spec" changing.

So some older cabinets may have been made of thinner sheet. OK still for air rifles (where required with chikldren under a set age in the house) but no longer favoured by FEOs for s1 or s2 weapons.

But you are correct to be wary of secondhand gun cabinets as, yes, the specification did change and some older cabinets may not nowadays meet that specification.

The British Standard specification is easily found on the internet.

Page 29 onwards - Annexe A and also a picture on page 49.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/835565/25072019_Firearms_Security_Manual_2019.pdf

On 20/03/2020 at 18:29, johnphilip said:

That looks fine , I think you have to look out for the old type that had the piano  type hinges  they are not permitted  for fire arm a shotguns .

Yes. One of the things to note. Same as thickness of metal. I remember seeing some cabinets that were really no more than tarted up steel clothes lockers that you might have seen in a factory premises or commercial kitchen or local swimming pool changing room.

Edited by enfieldspares

13 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

My own two cabinets dating back to the 1980s are bespoke made (from 3mm steel) and so also don't have any sort of "Police Approved" sticker. Note what I say below about the "spec" changing.

So some older cabinets may have been made of thinner sheet. OK still for air rifles (where required with chikldren under a set age in the house) but no longer favoured by FEOs for s1 or s2 weapons.

But you are correct to be wary of secondhand gun cabinets as, yes, the specification did change and some older cabinets may not nowadays meet that specification.

The British Standard specification is easily found on the internet.

Page 29 onwards - Annexe A and also a picture on page 49.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/835565/25072019_Firearms_Security_Manual_2019.pdf

Yes. One of the things to note. Same as thickness of metal. I remember seeing some cabinets that were really no more than tarted up steel clothes lockers that you might have seen in a factory premises or commercial kitchen or local swimming pool changing room.

Yes I got one years ago with the piano hinges  thought I got a bargain , to be told I could not store my shotgun in it . Ended up using it in the shed  for tools and stuff.

I think any purpose built gun safe would be suitable to use, for that purpose!......otherwise it could not legally be sold, described as such, we are not talking about utilising workplace personal clothing and belongings lockers as gunsafes!.....the PO has posted a picture of a gun safe........it will be fine!

18 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I think any purpose built gun safe would be suitable to use, for that purpose!......otherwise it could not legally be sold, described as such, we are not talking about utilising workplace personal clothing and belongings lockers as gunsafes!.....the PO has posted a picture of a gun safe........it will be fine!

This. 

On 20/03/2020 at 17:21, Fozzysti said:

How can I tell if a gun cabinet is police approved... Got someone who will sell me one its second hand but, he can prove its police approved and compiles to British standards? 

Cheers guy 

Screenshot_20200320-170131_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200320-170135_eBay.jpg

I believe that wee sticker at the top on the inside of the door says that it conforms to the standard  BS7558/92. Had a very similar one (possibly the same make).  So debate aside, I'd be 99% sure that it ticks the boxes in that sense. 

Back in the day....1976...when I had my first FAC for a Colt 1911 and a Webley Mark 6 and a couple of rifles my security was in fact (and police approved) a steel clothes locker, laid on its back and bolted to the ceiling joists and locked by being drilled for two hasps and their padlocks.

Edited by enfieldspares

12 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Back in the day....1976...when I had my first FAC for a Colt 1911 and a Webley Mark 6 and a couple of rifles my security was in fact (and police approved) a steel clothes locker, laid on its back and bolted to the ceiling joists and locked by being drilled for two hasps and their padlocks.

Ceiling joists!? That must have been interesting when it was opened! 🙂 

When I received my first FAC for handguns in the early ‘80’s, I bought a cabinet not because I had to, but because I didnt want them stolen.
A mate used to just keep his under his bed. 
The police never mentioned security at any time, and never visited me to check security at any time throughout their ownership, right up to the day I was forced to surrender them.
A copper called round once claiming he needed to check their serial numbers, but hadn’t brought any paperwork with him! He didn’t stay long! 😃

I owned a Sporterised .303 Enfield at the time also, which was just propped up behind my bedroom door. 

Ceiling joists!? That must have been interesting when it was opened! 

LOL! It was in an attic, a converted roof space, so yes, it was secured to the joist in the ceiling that was below that converted roof space. My late mother's Martini Henry that she had on her own FAC used to live in the airing cupboard. Behind the immersion heater. No cabinet, no chain. It was a different world back then SCULLY wasn't it!

44 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

LOL! It was in an attic, a converted roof space, so yes, it was secured to the joist in the ceiling that was below that converted roof space. My late mother's Martini Henry that she had on her own FAC used to live in the airing cupboard. Behind the immersion heater. No cabinet, no chain. It was a different world back then SCULLY wasn't it!

😀 It certainly seemed to be, looking back now! 👍

A word of advice before the local FEO comes to er.....approve the cabinet. In this area, the FEO counts the number of 'slots' in the foam insert, to separate the guns, he then allows that number of guns to be held. If you wish to exceed that number, they insist on another cabinet (or a bigger one). I removed the divider and put my guns in 'nose to tail'  (7 of them). There is still space to fit in another 7, if I so wished. No mention was made as to the number of guns that I could have. A friend ended up with a second cabinet due to the divider determining the number of guns his cabinet would take. You can always put the divider back in at a later date.