Advice on collecting firearms needed

Sco77w

Hi, 

are there any collectors here that can give me some guidance?

im a big shotgun fan and have several but over the last 4 or 5 years I've developed a particular interest in combat shotguns or ones that have been used by the military and police around the world. 

The vast majority of these have barrels that would deem them a S5 but my interest is in the type of gun, the manufacturer and operation so UK legal Sec 1 or even 2 (to a lesser degree) I find acceptable. 

I already have an 870, a M37DSPS and an 1897 but want to expand the collection with maybe 4 or 5 already high on my wish list. 

My question is, is it feasible to collect this type of firearm in the uk and are there any collectors out there with similar collections that could offer advice that aren't RFDs. I really don't want to bother my FLO at the moment as I'm sure he's mad busy inundated with applications from lunatic preppers wanting to buy Glocks and AKs. 

TIA. 

Edited by Sco77w

16 hours ago, theshootist said:

Collecting can certainly provide "good reason" for acquiring a sect 1 shotgun as per other s1 firearms. I was shown a Winchester Model 11 12 bore that was part of a wider collection of winchesters recently. 

On that basis are you actually allowed to shoot one if you have it purely on collecting as your good reason? 

7 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

On that basis are you actually allowed to shoot one if you have it purely on collecting as your good reason? 

You would likely have a secondary condition saying that the S1 Shotgun may be used for, e.g. clay pigeon shooting. 

Best to start with a conversation with your FLO. Collecting will not be a new good reason for your FLO. 

55 minutes ago, theshootist said:

You would likely have a secondary condition saying that the S1 Shotgun may be used for, e.g. clay pigeon shooting. 

Best to start with a conversation with your FLO. Collecting will not be a new good reason for your FLO. 

Thank you, I'm going to look into my firearms ticket later this year so I'll bear it in mind for then.