Unexpected day.

muncher

I had arranged to have look around for a shoot with my brother today,and with Motty doing his hair I set out looking at some recent drillings and rape fields. The first field I looked at were bare, so I moved on and couldn't find anything worth setting up for so moved on to another farm. Then my phone pinged! Another farm 15 miles away had a problem with pigeons on his drilled peas. Well I went over expecting to see the usual 20 but was pleasantly surprised to see  150 plus down and a good amount of traffic. I set up with my back to a pylon and the wind behind me with 10 dead birds from the day before and two on the rotary. I finished putting decoys out and had a pigeon trying to  land before I had sat down and got my gun out , it went round again and came back but now I was ready, 1 down. I was quickly calling my brother to join me and after his poor navigation he arrived just to watch me shoot a triple. The birds committed well all day and a one point that many came in and decoyed I actually flock shot 3. Around half two it started to slow down but we continued to 3.30 and picked 161. Fantastic day spent with my big bro!

IMG-20200321-155318108.jpg
IMG-20200321-152530141.jpg

50 minutes ago, ditchman said:

outstanding................................great pics.................the first one was going on and on and on and on........

PS will motty be showing off his "Brazilian"

He said some thing about a all over body wax and perm? Ready for his self isolation.

37 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Very good .as we could be facing a food shortage soon .please consider where the best place for this excellent meat is to go .

I would like them to go to the needy,not sure how to achieve this

That text from the farmer was certainly well timed.

This has got me all excited as I have seen a few on some drilled beans today and plan to take an elderly member of the forum out of isolation for some fresh air tomorrow afternoon. If we get 25% of your bag I will be more than happy.

Didn't think we would ever see a top bag on Pea drilling again due to the modern day drills , our Peas are still a few weeks away from being put in and if going by the last few years we wont get anything near the bag you and your brother got .

Well done on what is the biggest bag reported on P W for a while .

Your side kick have been very quite of late , do he do any Pigeon shooting now ?

26 minutes ago, muncher said:

He said some thing about a all over body wax and perm? Ready for his self isolation.

I would like them to go to the needy,not sure how to achieve this

Well now more than ever is a time for restraint  , if the meat you harvest cant be used to its best effect .

Consider dropping it off at your local buthers for free or a small sum to cover some carts  

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Didn't think we would ever see a top bag on Pea drilling again due to the modern day drills , our Peas are still a few weeks away from being put in and if going by the last few years we wont get anything near the bag you and your brother got .

Well done on what is the biggest bag reported on P W for a while .

Your side kick have been very quite of late , do he do any Pigeon shooting now ?

He shot a few last week about 40 odd I think, he unfortunately had to work today.😂

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Well now more than ever is a time for restraint  , if the meat you harvest cant be used to its best effect .

They will go in my freezers, so they will not be wasted, even if I have to keep them for months.

6 hours ago, muncher said:

I'm not sure MM but when my freezers are full I will have to stop if I can't find a home for them all.

So that’s what they look like, well done on a decent bag of pigeons.

So when your freezers full you are going to stop shooting them? so when you get a call from a farmer asking for some help with pigeon problems, what will you tell him/her?

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

So when your freezers full you are going to stop shooting them? so when you get a call from a farmer asking for some help with pigeon problems, what will you tell him/her?

I think its a problem we will all have i know of one comercial shooter disposing them in a way i wont say on here i think some enterprising business should turn them into doggy treats i have seen them in pheasant.

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well I managed to find a home for 60 today,and I'm working in the others, but to be honest I'm not sure what I will do start cooking them for the dogs?

12 minutes ago, dad said:

I think its a problem we will all have i know of one comercial shooter disposing them in a way i wont say on here i think some enterprising business should turn them into doggy treats i have seen them in pheasant.

That would be a Great help.

1 hour ago, dad said:

There’s people giving venison away or asking very little for it, so what chance is there for 10p pigeons, farmers want them shot if they are having problems, simple.

There’s also another point about “crop protection” and the disposal of shot birds, I and I guess others shoot a few blacks, best bag I have ever had was 137, needless to say, they did not end-up in my freezer.