RFD storage

button

BUTTON is correct but his mate shows sound commonsense. Personally if I give physical keeping of a gun to any third party I do, yes, inform the police even. Why? Because then at least they, the police, know that I don't have it and do know who does have it. This is important for TWO reasons.

1) The RFD can't deny ever having it if subsequently it gets lost or stolen.

Also if the RFD himself actually shuffles off the mortal coil and his records can't be found so his executors assume it is his property.

2)If it's me not the RFD that shuffles off the mortal coil then, again, the police know who has it. That is useful to my executors.

The scenario  in 1) did actually happen to me ten plus years ago. I'd left my late father's shotgun with a gunsmith in Price Street, Birmingham to have work done. The guy took poorly and, yes, eventually died without coming back to his workshop. I was able to contact West Midlands Police and explain what had happened with a copy of the letter I'd sent to my own police force when the gun was placed there. West Midlands acknowledged it and said they'd be in contact.

And sure enough about a few months later myself, three or four others in the same situation and a West Midlands Sergeant entered his workshop (which had remained locked up since the first day he took ill) with the late Mr. W's executor and looked for and found our guns and took back possession of them. All with total helpfulness and friendliness I must confirm by his executor who was his brother.

Some as others here do confirm that, yes, it isn't a legal requirement if placing a gun with a gunsmith for repair, with a gunshop for safe keeping or with an auction house for sale at auction. But if it all goes "pear shaped" with that gunsmith, gunshop or auction house I've long before pre-established by that notification to my own police force that unless evidence to the contrary can be produced that title to the gun (owndership of it) is still mine.

Edited by enfieldspares

I had a shotgun for sale at an RFD before. The RFD was adamant that I didn't need to notify the police it was no longer in my position so I trusted him and didn't advice licensing. 

I think it came to renewal time shortly later and licensing where not happy I hadn't notified them that the shotgun was out of my possession for more than 72 hours, even if it was at the RFDs. If I hadn't argued my case, I don't think I would have had my certificate renewed because of this. 

Legally, there may not be a requirement but common sense would say that for the few minutes that it takes to email or write a letter, it keeps you right and saves any hassle.

enfieldspares is spot on