cordless drill recommendation

paul1966

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just remembered i do have an old dewalt DW995 that is probably 10 years plus old. it needs a new battery which is about £30 and i could also replace the brushes for a fiver, is that an option? its an 18v battery show should have some power when working correctly.

8 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

I have just remembered i do have an old dewalt DW995 that is probably 10 years plus old. it needs a new battery which is about £30 and i could also replace the brushes for a fiver, is that an option? its an 18v battery show should have some power when working correctly.

I went down this route with a makita I had. Then the gearbox went and I sold the batterys and charger off to make a few quid back. 

Tbf I've still got my lidl one from 6 years ago, but it's 16v and they are a pain (lidl) for stocking spare batterys that fit. They might sell a complete package (drill, charger and battery) but you'll usually find that will be it, the batterys in the other Isles they sell won't be compatible. Double and triple check if you do. 3 year warrenty as well. 

Edited by strimmer_13

overkill

my bosch was past it, there none about at  aldi or lidl so bought a guild 18v from argos about 5 years ago, drill driver,  no hammer action, £59 i think maybe £69, whatever, came with 2 x 1.5Ah batteries, its been brilliant, plenty powerfull enough, don't touch it for weeks pick  it up it works, batteries do last well, when they do need charging they charge fast,  does everything a dewalt or other fancy name does at half the price.

Edited by itchy trigger
correction

59 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

Depends if your old charger will charge the new battery

it may fit physically BUT not charge

Lion charger will charge all,3 formats

NiMH will charge NiMH and NiCad

NiCad only charges Nicad

Plus....plug in batteries are getting rarer

I would say take a look at Ryobi, for performance and build quality at their price point they are top drawer and often there are great combo offers.

If you're a jobbing tradesman i would say go for Makita, Bosch Blue or Metabo, but for home use Ryobi are excellent and their One system range all using the same battery is vast.

I’m not generally a brand snob (my cabinet contains more than one Turkish gun), but the drill is one place where I’d want a decent one.  It’s used for pretty much every DIY project, unlike most other tools.

I had a Bosch ‘blue’ twin pack of a drill and driver that got used and abused during an 18-month  house fix up project. 

Although the drill had a hammer mode, wasn’t really up to the task of knocking holes in masonry, other than say a 6mm hole for a red rawl plug.  If you need to drill in masonary, look at a corded SDS model, £50 odd.

With the batteries and the drill starting to show signs of past their useful life, I got a replacement Makita set.  This was on the basis that my brother, who runs a building business, finds them to be the right balance between durable and not too expensive.  So far very happy with it.

Loads of other tools in the Makita ‘ecosystem’ – but as stated they are usually a bit spendy because they’re a higher grade than I need.  That said, they’ve been selling off stocks of the older, brushed models, so picked up a couple of tools cheaply.  E.g. a recip saw.

We use a lot of cordless at work and generally buy in whatever our suppliers stock/what is on special. 

We currently have Hitachi, bosch and dewalt. The Hitachi (18v) are old and are totally knackered. But they have been used hard, and were popular. The dewalt (18v) are the newer brushless ones, originally came with 1.5amph batteries, which didn't last long. With replacement 4.5amph batteries, they go all day and stand up to some punishment. The chucks all still work as they should and they are very sturdily put together. The bosch blue (14.4v) are the oldest ones and still have the nicad batteries, but are absolutly brilliant if you want to do light work. 

I personally use dewalt for DIY home use. I bought a 18v xr combi brushless pack with 2 5amph batteries, and I recently upgraded to a 54v 9amph battery pack. It's epic. No need for a corded drill any more.