cordless drill recommendation

paul1966

24 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

is this the £50er from screwfix?

Yea. Came in a little canvas case. Not going to lie feels fairly well built, and 2 batterys. Hammer action for the fiver extra. But I have no faith in small batterys as said in my rant about dewalt earlier, I don't expect these to last, but I only put up the occasional shelf or make a bit of garden furniture. If I was commercial I'd buy commercial grade tools

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few contractors recommend Titan tools (Screwfix home brand) as they are made by Ryobi and all the parts are Ryobi. 

I like a Ryobi tools but not keen on their "body only policy" gets you thinking thats cheap 70 quid for 22v drill then you realize its got no battery or charger. Stump up another 120 quid.

On 26/03/2020 at 08:50, fatchap said:

Quite a few contractors recommend Titan tools (Screwfix home brand) as they are made by Ryobi and all the parts are Ryobi. 

I like a Ryobi tools but not keen on their "body only policy" gets you thinking thats cheap 70 quid for 22v drill then you realize its got no battery or charger. Stump up another 120 quid.

Big fan of the titan stuff, especially for those tools I'm only likely to use every now and then, like sds drill. Just got the table saw for £99. Good enough for what I need and my limited skills.

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

No 

Looked for a few of their items recently and couldn't find much of a range. I think there was a hoover. I wanted the belt sander as we have one at work and its quite good 

hello, ok will have to look in Aldi next time, anyway had to buy a new hoover, for my self isolation spring clean, just waiting on getting it delivered 

5 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

just found this one, with a 4 amp battery for £114. Why do they have so many model numbers, its hard to compare models.

https://www.tools4trade.co.uk/brands/dewalt/dewalt-combi-drill/dewalt-dcd785n-18v-xr-2-speed-combi-drill-with-1-x-4-0ah-battery-charger.html

Thats a pretty good deal tbh. 

The thing is that battery is ace, we use the dewalt cordless angle grinder and a combo tool as well so having a decent battery is key, the 1.5amps only last minutes using different tools. 

If your going to use it a lot buy it. Seems a good price compared to screwfix's £100 with a 1.5 battery

just found this combo pack of a cordless drill plus impact driver for £120, only possible downside is that the batteries are 12v and 2 amp.

https://www.its.co.uk/pd/DCK211D2T-10.8v-XR-2-Piece-Kit-with-2-x-2Ah-Batteries,-Charger-and-Case-_DEWDCK211D2T.htm

does 18v give a lot more power than 12v? never thought deciding what drill to buy would be so hard

That's 10.8v in the link. 

Dewalt and makita (or other top makes) are fine in 12v, it was the standard for decades. Haven't used 10.8v since I was in college and even then it was old school. 

I personally love using impact drivers, some people hate them. 

I mean really what is your budget, and what are you going to be using it for? 

3 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Avoid Ryobi - cheap chinese tat, rubbish customer service and parts prices are a joke. I would buy an Aldi one and keep the receipt, I have quite a few of their tools and they've never let me down so far.

Best advice so far, Aldi and Lidl, cheap and cheerful and replaced easily if faulty.

Keep the receipt or if bought on line they have a record.:good:

10 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

That's 10.8v in the link. 

Dewalt and makita (or other top makes) are fine in 12v, it was the standard for decades. Haven't used 10.8v since I was in college and even then it was old school. 

I personally love using impact drivers, some people hate them. 

I mean really what is your budget, and what are you going to be using it for? 

from looking online the 10.8v are equal to 12v as they output 12v peak power, i will use it for general diy but i want something that won't struggle drilling and one that will last, the dewalt i have is over 10 years old and still working. budget is £100 but will go up to £120 for a good deal.

Just now, paul1966 said:

from looking online the 10.8v are equal to 12v as they output 12v peak power, i will use it for general diy but i want something that won't struggle drilling and one that will last, the dewalt i have is over 10 years old and still working. budget is £100 but will go up to £120 for a good deal.

hello, in that case buy another Dewalt

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely this would fit the bill?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parkside-20v-3-in-1-cordless-impact-drill-bare-unit/p30636

There are different batteries and a charger seperate.

Nowt wrong with the Lidl stuff, I've got the 12v drill for tight spaces/light duty.  But they don't stock anything on the 'fun aisle' permanently, if you're lucky it will come up again in a year or 6 months.  This means that the 3 year guarantee is only of limited use.  You'll get a refund, but be left with no drill.

Seriously, push the budget, get a decent Makita or Dewalt as it'll be your only drill.  It's the one power tool I'd spend some money on.  Nobody ever regrets buying decent tools.

On 28/03/2020 at 07:54, bruno22rf said:

Avoid Ryobi - cheap chinese tat, rubbish customer service and parts prices are a joke. I would buy an Aldi one and keep the receipt, I have quite a few of their tools and they've never let me down so far.

Funny how experiences differ, i have a good number of Ryobi tools and never had an issue.

The truth is that a huge amount of generic tools and even some branded ones will all be made by the same manufacturer, same as all electronic stuff.

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

Funny how experiences differ, i have a good number of Ryobi tools and never had an issue.

The truth is that a huge amount of generic tools and even some branded ones will all be made by the same manufacturer, same as all electronic stuff.

tools.jpg