Tikka recommendations

hardguy007

Hi,

I’ve took a notion of maybe doing a bit of target shooting so I’m looking for recommendations on a rifle. I’d a .223 tikka years ago and loved it which is why I’d like to go tikka again. I’d probably go 2nd hand route as I’m only setting aside £1000-£1200 for the gun only. Local shop has a t3 varmint stainless, 23” barrel, 1-8 twist with ase ultra mod at £950 which has taken my fancy but I thought was on the expensive side but maybe not when you factor in the mod. Won’t be at any crazy distances either although to have the capability would be advantageous.

Also, as per attached photo, we have a banded system for rifles over here in Northern Ireland so will be keeping this in mind too. No point getting a .223 now then wanting to change to a .308 later and have to jump through all the hoops again. 

Of course this is a “how long is a piece of string” kinda question but any advice welcome.

Thanks

6B480433-C4A3-4FDD-A519-E666A670F221.jpeg

With the money you are thinking to spend, save a tiny bit more and buy new. There is a brand new T3X varmint with 1-8 twist for £945. With a new gun you have that peace of mind that nothing silly has happened to the barrel. If you were only looking at spending 4-500 then go S/h.

I had a Tikka T3 light in .308. It kicked like a mule and would not group for buttons. I do believe it was the optilocks in the end. They worst engineering in the world in my opinion. two flat surfaces held together with 1 x M5 screw. Nonsense. 

Tikka as a rifle does what it says on the tin and is easy customisable. Just don't get a GRS - it was horrible on the T3 in my opinion. 

I bought my Tikka T3 new in 222 caliber a couple of years ago for £600. 

Its been a brilliant piece of kit. I was having a little problem with a few light strikes. Took it back to the shop, Tikka replaced the whole bolt under guarantee. 

There are more sophisticated rifles out there, for want of a better word. But pound for pound you’d be pushed to find a more accurate rifle for the money.