Care in the community

Clodhopper

With the end if the world on the horizon I thought I would do my bit and check on the elderly to see how they are coping. The oldest person I know lives on the Wolds so I gave him a call to see how he was doing. The answer was that he was not doing too well in confinement and needed to get out. 

So it was that today I met JDog, along with my cousin in the gateway of a Bean drilling that had a few birds kicking about. There were a couple of lines that looked like they would provide some action and they seemed to converge near a hedge on the south eastern edge of the field. It was a bit of a walk but would afford us some shelter from the biting wind and the bright sun. We set up with around 20 shells and 12 dead birds with one on the flapper. The action was sporadic but with lots of birds on the move we added a few to the bag. 

The flapper broke mid way through and was replaced with a magnet which seemed to have a greater pulling effect, should have had it on the go from the start!

Although we were not all on good form shooting wise, the banter was out of the top draw and the leg pulling (some of it was downright abuse)was of the highest order.

The afternoon  flew by and it was soon time to return the old man to his carer. Young Barney is coming along nicely and picked up a number of birds. The final tally being 73 picked. With about 3 stuck in a thick blackthorn hedge that we were unable to retrieve.

Oh and finally somebody ran out cartridges again but I won’t say who!!

There is an ageist theme developing in Clodhopper’s posts.

We had a great afternoon, birds generally decoyed well. At the end of the session we had 100 decoys out and even birds returning from feeding elsewhere were tempted to come into the pattern.

We did indeed have some amusing banter verging on the very rude.

The session was probably too busy for Barney. He never ran in, or even thought about it, but he did always want to get involved and I had to turn down the tempo with him a few times.

E4875C9C-26D1-44E3-8040-D09FF5B39056.jpeg

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

cartridges again................." i dont belive it...."

(i think there is some sort of cunning ploy developing here...)

It was only an 800 yard round trip to collect extras from the car! He managed at least 1 right and left whilst I made the trip. 

21 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

It was only an 800 yard round trip to collect extras from the car! He managed at least 1 right and left whilst I made the trip. 

it must have been awful for you.................you being full time carer for him and all that.........when he needs his bottom wiped does he supply his own toilet paper...i certainly hope so in the present climate....

you could apply for "key worker status "...you know

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it must have been awful for you.................you being full time carer for him and all that.........when he needs his bottom wiped does he supply his own toilet paper...i certainly hope so in the present climate....

you could apply for "key worker status "...you know

He brings staff for those kind of things. I just went for the walk to get away from the abuse I was getting from the other two.

12 hours ago, JDog said:

There is an ageist theme developing in Clodhopper’s posts.

We had a great afternoon, birds generally decoyed well. At the end of the session we had 100 decoys out and even birds returning from feeding elsewhere were tempted to come into the pattern.

We did indeed have some amusing banter verging on the very rude.

The session was probably too busy for Barney. He never ran in, or even thought about it, but he did always want to get involved and I had to turn down the tempo with him a few times.

E4875C9C-26D1-44E3-8040-D09FF5B39056.jpeg

Well done team! My question, had the drilled beans had this pre-emergence spray? I don't see any wheel marks....

The drill leaves no tracks so new tramlines on top means spray.

51 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Well done team! My question, had the drilled beans had this pre-emergence spray? I don't see any wheel marks....

The drill leaves no tracks so new tramlines on top means spray.

No pre emergent sprays had been used.

Another factlet, in three hours on the field I never saw a single bean on top.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

No pre emergent sprays had been used.

Another factlet, in three hours on the field I never saw a single bean on top.

Thanks for this JD. Please see a reply to my update on the spray question, before I quit Pigeon Forum...

And yes, they do seem very good at finding beans, considering they can't/don't scratch for them.

Cheers and thanks for the entertainment over the years.....

43 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Thanks for this JD. Please see a reply to my update on the spray question, before I quit Pigeon Forum...

And yes, they do seem very good at finding beans, considering they can't/don't scratch for them.

Cheers and thanks for the entertainment over the years.....

are you off somewhere ?