Shooting a flightline with a whirly

freddie_e

Hi guys,

Has anyone had good results using a whirly to shoot a flightline / roost shooting? I have patch of ground where pigeons flight along a wood that is not mine on the boarder of my ground, to roost. They flight maybe 50 yards into the wood, I was wondering whether I could use a whirly in the field to try and pull the birds out a bit to shoot. Has anyone done this before?

The only proper answer you'll get to that is to go and try it.  My gut feeling is it would possibly pull a few out for a look but you'll end up frustrated.  I doubt it's going to land you a mega session, they'll probably do a tentative fly-by but not give you much of a chance.  Remember the mindset they're in coming in to roost, they're usually done feeding when they are a bit more careless and are more cautious about danger as they return to the woods.

I'd still give it a go personally, I think life is all about learning.  Whatever you do you win, because you either learn a killer tactic to bag a few more pigeons or you learn not to bother again!!  Let us know haw you get on if you do decide to give it a crack!

have found whirly gigs  can put them off   when they first came out many years back they worked brilliant  I now go back to old fashioned fieldcraft  ( less is more )  in the flight line nothing needed   /  or a single  roosting pigeon     / 6 decoys in the field  far enough out so they fly between the wood and decoys as they will not be interested but go for a look and veer off decoys  may give you a chance     

9 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

The only proper answer you'll get to that is to go and try it.  My gut feeling is it would possibly pull a few out for a look but you'll end up frustrated.  I doubt it's going to land you a mega session, they'll probably do a tentative fly-by but not give you much of a chance.  Remember the mindset they're in coming in to roost, they're usually done feeding when they are a bit more careless and are more cautious about danger as they return to the woods.

I'd still give it a go personally, I think life is all about learning.  Whatever you do you win, because you either learn a killer tactic to bag a few more pigeons or you learn not to bother again!!  Let us know haw you get on if you do decide to give it a crack!

I agree on some points, but disagree on others.

I think pigeons are so greedy that sometimes they can't resist a bit more of a feed, even on their way home. Also, if this tactic is tried, but doesn't work, it doesn't mean it will always fail to work. 

Welcome, I have a wood similar to the one you describe , the flightline is across land with horses on which I do not have permission. 

I tend to shoot it after I've been on other land during the day and set up a magnet and possibly twenty decoys ( real Birds ) and on the edge of the pattern  on the flight line I place four flying frames as if birds are landing in the pattern from the flightline and the magnet on the other edge of the pattern. 

On a good session I would expect to decoy fifty percent of the line but this also give you possibly five or six birds in the pattern at a time.

You  can only do this once a month as if you try again next week they just flare off before the pattern or not leave the line to the roost.

Thats my expirience I hope it helps.