Spring - who is right?

WalkedUp

I am aware that “spring” relates to both the meteorological seasons as we experience them and also to the astronomical calendar. Why do so many people now use the astronomical “spring” relating to the vernal equinox to mean “spring” as the UK season. Radio 4, my son’s school etc are telling people that winter ended this weekend and spring has started. It clearly makes no sense as:

1. The vernal equinox covers the entire northern hemisphere. Many areas of which, particularly the tropics, do not have four distinct seasons. 

2. Without seasonal lag the vernal equinox would mark the mid point of spring. 

3. The natural markers of spring, (nesting, blossom etc) start to occur at the beginning of March. 

4. “Equinox” should be the division between winter and summer in terms of solar position. 

What does everyone on PW think? Was the first day of spring March 1st or March 21st?

I am with ditch and TC on this, for instance today/this morning the sun came up and there was a touch of frost on the flat roof and looking out of my window i see flowers dormant through winter opening their petals, a blackbird just flew across the lawn into the ivy on the barn with a mouthfl of grass, in my view spring has sprung and I don't need all that mumbo jumbo to determine it.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i pay no attention to the geoligical evidence of spring........................i ditermin spring when the birdsong changes....my body feels better ....and my mood changes for the better

This is the answer.  It's spring when spring happens , times and dates are irrelevant to nature , they're just useful measures for humans.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i pay no attention to the geoligical evidence of spring........................i ditermin spring when the birdsong changes....my body feels better ....and my mood changes for the better

It looks as though your annual summer do in Wiltshire will be cancelled this year.:|

hello, most definitely sign of spring now, my son txt me on the 21st with happy spring day, still a chilly wind from the east but all systems go on the farm spring drilling, Lambing making a start in the Vale, with the last 3 months of weather its nice to see some sunshine,  Wheres this summer do in Wiltshire ???

11 minutes ago, Diver One said:

My wife was born on March 21st

she always says this is the first day of Spring

does anybody want to tell her she is wrong?

So was my father. In the family his nickname derived from a local pub. He was "Last" and his older sister then became "First" having been born on the 20th.

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, most definitely sign of spring now, my son txt me on the 21st with happy spring day, still a chilly wind from the east but all systems go on the farm spring drilling, Lambing making a start in the Vale, with the last 3 months of weather its nice to see some sunshine,  Wheres this summer do in Wiltshire ???

If Ditchy is close to or at one with nature, then if you can get up early you can meet up with your fellow worshipers in 3 months time.

5 minutes ago, Penelope said:

My canary hen started to build yesterday, she'll be finished today and I guess the first egg by the end of the week as I have seen the cock tread her a couple of times.

I saw a pair of house sparrows looking at a couple of my bird boxes the other day , the young looking female was going in and out and when the old looking male dared to have a look, she fetched him an almighty peck to the head,  he sat on the nearest branch and seemed to hunch his shoulders..🙄

53 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I saw a pair of house sparrows looking at a couple of my bird boxes the other day , the young looking female was going in and out and when the old looking male dared to have a look, she fetched him an almighty peck to the head,  he sat on the nearest branch and seemed to hunch his shoulders..🙄

That female house sparrow has now released an emotional statement via #MeToo and the old boy is looking at a 5 stretch in Rikers Island. 

6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

That female house sparrow has now released an emotional statement via #MeToo and the old boy is looking at a 5 stretch in Rikers Island. 

😀

He definitely looked a bit dejected, at least he's only got a short breeding season. ..😀